1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out to someone I didn't know well

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by DrummerGirl, Jun 24, 2012.

1. DrummerGirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Coming out can be pretty scary, especially if you don't know the person very well.

A while back I had come out to three people: the first girl I kissed, my ex boyfriend (I dated a few guys before I came out to myself) who just asked me, and a random friend from whom I wanted advice (over text which isn't as scary).
    One day I was at school talking to one of my friends. I didn't know her extremely well, but we were starting to get closer and I was venting when I suddenly blurted out that I liked a girl at a different high school. I then realized what I had said and shrugged nervously, quietly saying "I'm gay". I looked at her, scared that she was going to walk away and never talk to me again. She said "you act like I'm gonna have a heart attack. There's nothing wrong with that". and she hugged me. We've been really good friends ever since and I can talk to her about anything.

Another time, more recently, I was doing a week long mission project where we stayed at our church overnight for about a week and during the day we went out to do mission work in our community. It was the last night and I wanted some air so I went to sit outside and one of the other girls came to sit with me. I didn't know her very well but we had gotten to know each other a little over the week. We were just sitting out there talking and before we knew it, it was 1:30 in the morning. Despite how late it was, we continued to sit outside and talk. Eventually the topic of one of my guy friends, that I had spent a lot of time with that week, came up. She said something about there possibly being something between me and him and I told her that I'm a lesbian. She was extremely accepting and we talked about me being scared to tell me parents. We eventually went inside and went to sleep at about 2.

It's nice to know that there are people out there that don't even know you very well but will still accept you. It kind of makes me want to shout from the roof tops that I'm a lesbian... you know if I didn't live in the homophobic, deep south :icon_wink

I just want to say good luck to all you people out there (and encourage you with my personal experiences) that are coming out. Wish me luck as I continue to come out :slight_smile:

2. softshock

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    congrats! I like reading stuff like this - makes me feel hopeful and positive about coming out, thanks :icon_bigg

3. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats on all that, your post made me happy. :slight_smile:
    Good luck with your ongoing journey, it has it's fun moments no?

4. khamomile

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    This is awesome! Thanks for sharing!