1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Couldn't go through with it

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Neutrality, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Neutrality

I was planning to come out to a pretty close friend yesterday, so I started steering the conversation towards the subject by mentioning how I thought the gay pride oreo was cool, but he got upset and disapproved of the oreo so I backed out and pulled it off as a joke about me just loving the idea of an oreo with 6 layers of cream (Which I do they really should sell that thing) but, now I'm kind of afraid to try and tell him or my other friends. >.>

2. Ianthe

Wow, people take the dang oreo way too seriously. He didn't just disapprove, but was actually upset by it?

I'm sorry your friend had that reaction. Maybe keep testing the waters with a few of your other friends, and see if you can find one that will be accepting. Don't think of them as a mass, but treat each of them individually.

Even when people are not initially accepting, they are usually okay with it after a little while. Once your friend knows you're gay, he'll probably come around, it just might take some time. (*hug*)

3. dl72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe you should talk to him and see how he feels about gay people in general and go from there. That would give you a better idea.

4. Sherri

Why was he upset by the gay oreo? I mean, I know a lot of people who roll their eyes at such over-the-top marketing stunts and are still supportive of LGBT people in general.

If he really doesn't support gays, it means you have an opportunity with him. If he is truly as good a friend as you think he is and you want him to know this about you, you owe it to him to trust that he'll accept you. I have known a lot of people who didn't particularly support gays (and were in fact kind of negative towards them) who changed their minds once they found out they actually knew a gay person. It helps people to see that gays are no different from them. We aren't waiting to perv on your children. We aren't the creepers watching you in the locker room. We don't all wear rainbows at every opportunity and act offended. You bust a lot of stereotypes by coming out of the closet to people who are close to you.

If he doesn't accept you for it, he was never worthy of your friendship in the first place. It doesn't make it suck any less to lose friends that way :frowning2:, but it is true. Unfortunately, there really is no easy way of coming out. Assuming you've already determined it's safe to do so and you want to come out, you just have to suck it up and blurt it out and hope for the best.

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Sorry to hear that your friend reacted as he did.

My thought exactly...

Anyways. As Ianthe pointed out, at times people won't have a too positive reaction, but will come to accept it eventually. Plus, some people it really just takes them by surprise and their initial reaction comes out as being supportive when all that is needed is a chat with them.

Maybe try coming out to one or two other friends first, who might be more accepting or understanding. Having that support, and acceptance will give you some courage and strength to talk to that friend again. (*hug*)

6. timo

I'm sorry to hear your friend responded this way. I was about to say you might consider coming out to other friends first and gather their support, but the very same thing has already been said. Ah well, saying it again can do no harm :slight_smile:

Of course after coming out to some others you can try to come out again to this particular friend. If he knows one of his friends, someone he has known for a while, is gay he might change his views on the matter, or even turn out to be accepting and supportive after he adjusted to the idea.

I love this piece of text. It's so true.