1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mum knows..and it's okay?!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by MyJunkIsYou, Jul 4, 2012.

1. MyJunkIsYou

So mum asked what I was doing on Saturday and I told her I was going to Pride (London). What pride is this she says? ..umm gay pride I said, with two friends.

She asked if the friends were gay. And then she asked if I was. So I told her. And she groaned

But it was okay! Okayy-ish I think. She asked and said all the things I knew she would but it was out of genuine ignorance not malice. She went through the confusion/phase/fashion/hanging around with gay friends/no grand children from you but eventually she came to the conclusion that her and dad were "normal" and my upbringing was "normal" so it must be something genetic or essentially not something I can control or that I chose.

I came out almost as label free "I don't mind if it's a woman or a man, it's just love to me" rather than bisexual. I think it was the whole "sexual" conversation I wanted to avoid. I get the impression that she hopes that it will be a man I end up meeting and she seemed to try and reassure herself with the fact that avenue was still open, I was warned not to tell my christian father...but I told her if I fall in love with a woman I won't deny it and no matter what gender I'm with I will always be the same person.

She actually made me laugh when she said "I suppose it's not too much of a shock because you were always the alternative one out of you and your sister. Plus well, your clothes".

She asked that I don't publicise this on facebook (which I wouldn't anyway) so I don't think she's all out for joining in the pride march yet but for all I have cried and worried over telling her, I was in total shock at her coolness with it.

She even carried on loading the dishwasher and cooking throughout the conversation and every so often interupted me to ask how much money was in my bank account like that was the most important thing that needed discussion here.

And she told me I was her daughter and she loved me.

So it's a step :slight_smile:

2. Vernox

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Congrats <3

3. Zapha

Congrats! I'm very happy for you - I think things went rather well :grin:

4. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats, I know that feeling of shock and relief. It's crazy, isn't it? Sounds like you two will be okay, hopefully she will learn more as time goes on.

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm glad to hear that your mom was ok with you!! Congrats on coming out to her!!

6. That's great! I'm glad for you that she took it so well! (!)

7. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

That is really awesome!! :slight_smile: Congrats!