1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EC Email Accidentally Outed Me to Dad!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Theory, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Theory

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You all know the 2 emails everyone gets the minute they sign up? Well my dad gets all the emails I get and now is giving me awkward looks. He told me that 'You signed up for some weird s**t sweetheart' and I played dumb but kept fidgiting. He's a bit homophobic I think and I'm so freaked! I know he's going to give me a lecture then start asking questions I don't know the answers to yet. It's just too fast. Help please! :tears: :frowning2:

2. Menaki-Neko

Fargo North Dakota, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    Although I wouldn't normally support lying, I would say that if you're truly not ready to come out, you should tell him that its just spam that you got.

3. Cloudbreaker

I'm not sure what you should do, but straight people are allowed to join the site too, so at least you aren't automatically outed simply because you joined. (Ironically, joining this site would probably be a good idea for your dad if he needs some advice about finding out that you joined this site.)

I guess I don't have any real advice, but I wish you the best. Hopefully you can find the strength to handle anything that happens to come your way.

4. biisme

For the future, if you don't want to talk to him about the site, you can edit your profile to not receive e-mails. If you don't want the subject to come up again unexpectedly, this might be the best thing to do. Simply go to "My settings" at the top left of the page. Then click "edit options" on the left menu. There you can edit your e-mail options.

5. BurritoQueer

Just tell him you joined to help find support for one of your struggling gay friends? :slight_smile:

6. Theory

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I did that already but thanks and I may have to do the friend thing, quite a few of my friends are bi. That's what I'll do if I have to. If I can keep him from talking about it tomorrow I'm home free until Friday (Volleyball camp) and I hope he'll forget. I'm so nervous but thank you all,
    Theory

7. Adam123

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    does the email he recieve contain your username/password? if so he may be able to access your account, might want to think about changing your password too

8. Theory

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thank you guys for all of your suggestions and sorry for not being on, as it happens i was stupid to be worried. The derogitory comments he had made that made me think he was a bit homophobic where apparently honest questions and he told me (and i quote) 'I don't care if you bring an alien or a frog home and say this is who i'm marrying. I'll still support you all the way. I'm not saying i won't laugh but i'll support you.' It was a bit awkward but alls well that ends well, yes? :slight_smile:

9. SunSparks

OMG - I am so glad it worked out for you. But for any one else reading this, be sure to be careful when you are online and your parents (if they don't know about what you are/may be) monitor some part of the internet. Like in this case - you can always create a new email address. Remember that some routers can log traffic and can tell your parents what sites you are visiting. In such a case, you can try to access the router settings and try to turn it off. If not, I would recommend that you use a proxy so all they see if you visiting an ip address, not a website. If you are using a computer that others may access, be careful with your browser history and cookies. People tend to forget about cookies which websites store information like login sessions on. You can clear that through the settings.

10. Eleanor Rigby

I'm very happy for you that your dad is loving and supportive :slight_smile: