1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out has Required Bravery on a new level...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by alwayshope11, Jul 8, 2012.

1. alwayshope11

These past few weeks have been a whirlwind for me....I decided that the best way for me to fully accept myself was going to be by living as the gay guy I am...so I have been telling my friends. I started off with my best girl friend and it was on the phone (cuz she lives in another state) and she told me she loved me no matter what....then I got drunk one night and told one of my best guy friends who I knew was bi, and he was fine. THEN.. maybe a month or two later (a few weeks ago).. I ended up telling my best friend ever who is like a brother and he hugged me and told me I will always be his brother no matter what. So, from there I went on to tell my friends from high school, who all responded with positivity as well. On the 4th of july, I decided to tell one of my roommates who I have gotten really close to this year. She was so happy for me and was excited to have a gay best friend! LOL... then, on friday night a bunch of us were out at the bar and I told another one of my best friends and she said she already knew and loved me no matter what. Oh, and I called another good friend that night and told her ... So, then today I decided I needed to tell my last best friend and get it over with.. so I did and he was fine with it! I feel exhausted, but braver then I have ever felt in my life.

But today I found out that my ex-gf had told one of my friends who she is good friends with. So i texted her to check in and to make sure she didnt think I was some gross person for dating my ex...and I found out that while she considers me a good friend, she believes that being gay is a choice and that I should respect her beliefs as she respects mine and she doesn't understand how I'm gay, etc. While it wasn't a mean comment, it really hurt because how can anyone think I'm choosing something that, for years, has caused me so much pain and sadness... I know that not everyone agrees with all of us... but I want you all to know how brave I think each of you is for being true to yourself...I don't know any of you, but I feel happy to be part of something larger than myself... and to finally be a voice for myself.

It takes two words to change your life: "I'm gay" .... and you never know what is gonna be on the other side! (&&&)

2. Adam123

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    this is such a great post. I'm currently searching for the bravery to out myself to my friends, wish I could just spur myself like you have! congrats!
    your words are very inspiring!

3. alwayshope11

You will know when the time is right...it will be like a gut feeling! Good luck!

4. Mercuree

Awesome post! I have told a few friends so far and they have been great. Only my really really close freindss reamin to be told. And my family..

5. Cahseno

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Im in the same situation I came out to my close friends and a few family members. Its been a weight off my shoulders. And if people ask I no longer deny it but congrats on coming out

6. lonewolf77

lonewolf77 Guest

As others have said, this is a great post. I'm glad that you had, for the most part, a positive reaction to you coming out. It gives me alot of hope for when I come out to others. Ive came out to one person with less than desirable results. But I think I can take some strength from your experience and come out to others.