1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out for the first time yesturday

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Mariah AliH, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Mariah AliH

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    ok so I've always known I was differnt from other girls starting in about 6th grade. I just kinda blew it off until I was in Jr high and I relized you know I'm pretty sure I'm Bi. I kept it to myself until just yesterday where I told two of my best friends. One of them was tottally fine with it because she is too but my other friend who I've known sense kindergarted stared at both of us and stated"I am very afraid now"then she backed away and looked at us...well mostly me, like I had just murderd her dog in front of her. that really did alot for my self esteem -_- . Now I'm afraid of telling other people about me being bi but I think that sooner or later I'll have to tell my other friends. So yeah, thats my story.

2. Astaroth

Well, first off, welcome to EC, Mariah! I'm sure that all the fine folks here will be able to help you along the way. :icon_bigg

I just wanted to say that I think you're very brave for coming out for the first time. Just remember that the first few are always the hardest (parents aside). Kudos to one friend for being so accepting. She can be your rock when things get dicey. As for your other friend, she may just be surprised and shocked. Give her a little time to process the information and see how things go from there. If she hasn't come around after a while, you might want to consider sitting down with her to talk about it one-on-one just to clarify things for her. She may be upset and thinking you told her because you are hitting on her (which may or may not be the case). But whatever you do, be proud of who you are! (*hug*) Let us know how things go!

3. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome. :grin:

Astaroth prety much said what i was thinking. You just need to give your other friend some time. :slight_smile:

Well done for being so brave. :grin:

4. JSG

JSG Guest

Congrats !!
    I'm sorry to hear one of your best friends took it so bad, I hope she'll realize you're still who you've always been.

Well done ! :icon_bigg

5. biisme

welcome to EC!

but, i'm sorry for the way you're friend acted. maybe she just needs some time to process this.

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
  7. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I think it's really good that you've managed to finally come out to some people, and I do agree with Astaroth that the first few are probably the hardest, barring parents. I'm sorry that you got such a negative response from one of your friends, but I really do think that she may just be in shock - her reaction sounds exactly like someone who doesn't know how to react. So I would give it a little time, and let her get used to the idea a bit. I think she will come round; I hope she does. You say you've known her since you were very little - it may be the change she perceives in you (note: not the change *in* you) that she is finding hardest to process, rather than the actual fact that you are bisexual. It is a sad fact for those of us trying to come out, but friends do not like it when we change, or, more accurately, they perceive us to change. But I think that your friend will quickly realise that you are exactly the same as before, and if you have been friends for so long, it is likely that she will overcome the shock very quickly.

I wouldn't worry about it too much - it sounds like she was in shock. Give it time and let us know how it goes!!