1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

... And I did it.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by WeirdnessMagnet, Jul 14, 2012.

1. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, I just have returned from Bristol Pride... And you know the contract between "being there" and to "back as business as usual" (Is my walk too gay? Is that purple rain jacket too flamy? What to tell parents?) ... It was unbearable.

And then my parents noticed facepaint remnnants... Uh-oh.

And I finally persuaded my mom to come chat with me without my stepdad.

And told her. "So, you want to know what really happened? Today there was a pride parade in Bristol, we [me and a group in Bristol she knows I'm a (sorta) member of, she didn't know was about LGBT people ] were there. And yes, I like boys and girls, always did, and those purple clothes are in our special pride colour."

She took it about the way I expected. No temper tantrums, but all this "I want a normal family for you" stuff... I assured her of my "virginity" and the fact that I may fall madly in love with a girl till death does us part tomorrow, but tried to explain, that it's not the same as straight anyway.

So, time will tell what would happen next... I hope we can figure things out.

---------- Post added 14th Jul 2012 at 08:36 PM ----------

P.S. And don't you DARE tell me Pride is "counter-productive," "just a glorified picnic" and stuff like that. I might die of laughter. It was anything but for me.

#1 WeirdnessMagnet, Jul 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  2. dl72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congrats on telling your mom.

3. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What I didn't expect about her and what bothers me is that she... Didn't really ask any questions. When I said she could ask anything she liked, there was a clear fear in her face, and she quickly changed the subject.

I guess it's just denial stage, and I think it's a good idea to just give her time to process it all at her own pace, but I'd really like her to have some truthful information to do that thinking with...

Guess, I'm much like her in that regard, I have to remind myself that no, she's smarter than to go straight to Christian fundamentalists for help, and in all probability would find all she needs to know on her own, and that you can't make other people's decisions for them.

But if there is some unobtrusive way to help her with that I'd really like to.

4. Eleanor Rigby

Congratulations for telling your mom :slight_smile:
    Here is a Pflag booklet that you may want to forward to her. That might be informative for her and she might me more comfortable with this rather than asking you questions directly.
    http://community.pflag.org/document.doc?id=495

Take care, Cécile

5. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Cécile, thanks for the link, although, there's a problem that my mom knows enough English to get by, but not to read something like this... And I couldn't find any good equivalent in our first language, guess I would have to write to her a letter of sorts, if I'd go that route. It's still a good idea, although I'm not sure she's going to read anything like that right now.