1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out...To my favourite band?!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by MusicIsLife, Jul 15, 2012.

1. MusicIsLife

To anyone reading that title, you might think I'm insane, but for those of you who don't know me, I'll give you a little background: As a teen, I lost my father, and while dealing with that as well as coming to terms with my sexuality made me very depressed and suicidal. I was seeing 4 people at the same time for my problems, most of them working for my high school, but I was also seeing a therapist.

While my friends betrayed me, while dealing with the loss of my father, and everything else that was going on, one thing remained constant: My Music. To some, music is just another art form, or something to dance to, something to use as a tool to speak out. For me it was more than that. It was the only thing that kept me going from day to day, and to say "Music saved my life" is completely true for me. It is my everything.

Fast forward to yesterday. I went to the Vans Warped Tour, and among many other bands I saw that day, one of my favourites was Anti Flag. I saw their set, then went to their merch tent to meet them. For those of who who are not familiar with them, they are a band that strongly advocates against racism, homophobia, sexism and everything else under the sun. They take time between songs to tell the guys in the crowd how to treat women and tell women what to do if they're approached by some perv. They make sure their fans have fun and are safe, and at least for me it's really inspiring.

Among other things, they were one of the bands (Against Me!) being the other, that has helped me stay true to myself and be brave as I slowly begin my transition. As such, I wanted to say something to them when I met them.

First I met Chris #2 and he signed my ticket and signed a free poster for me. I leaned in and said, "I just wanted to thank you for advocating against discrimination and because of that I'm starting to feel okay about being Transgender." In response, he threw his arms around me in a big hug. I thanked him and moved on. I couldnt really talk to Chris Head because of the band playing near to their tent was LOUD but by the time I got to Pat Thetic and Justin Sane there was a break in the music.

Chris said, "Wow finally a break so I can actually talk to you!" I shook his hand and told him my name, at which point Justin leaned in to listen too. I told him the same thing I had told Chris #2, and he cried, "Aw, give me a hug!!" and he threw himself on me. When he pulled back he and Justin told me, "Just be yourself!" and while I struggled to keep a straight face, I thanked them all and left.

For me at least, it was as though i had told my closest friends about me and they were fine with it. Even my best friend didn't react as positively as they had. It was a moment where I finally felt, yes I am a boy. And I can be myself.

2. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  3. Travel Tech

That's awesome, good for you!

4. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

That's awesome! You probably made their day.

5. Adam123

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    this is beautiful :grin:

6. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :,( That's AWESOME. :,)

7. Mercy

Mercy Guest

im so so happy for you !

8. mischa91

Wow that's awesome. Their responses were great and i bet they (and you) will remember that for a long time. Good for you!

9. Aielar

Aww, that's amazing :slight_smile: I feel the same way about music that you do lol, and I'm glad there are bands who are willing to do things like this for their fans :slight_smile: