1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm really confused and I don't know where to start, please help

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by randomflag, Jul 15, 2012.

1. randomflag

Hi everyone,

Here goes...I have never ever thought I was a lesbian, ever. I've not looked at girls and it hadn't occurred to me that I might be gay until now.

I have a friend that I can't stop thinking about, I have a crush on her (big time!) and when we sleep in the same bed I am turned on. When I see her I can't even breathe and my heart rate goes through the roof. She has hinted that she likes me (she winks and she's told me she has something about me). She also wants my attention 24/7. She's been hurt in the past and she portrays this tough exterior but I know deep down it is because she is insecure. I keep having dreams about her, and I would do anything for her. I think I love her.

I've never felt this way about a man. I've had two serious relationships with men. The first one I wanted to go out with because my parents found each other at 17 and I wanted a boyfriend at 17 so I went out and got one. I wasn't particularly attracted to him but I thought this is what it was like.

My second serious relationship is with my fiance. He doesn't know how I feel towards this woman (my friend) and I can't tell him (don't want to hurt his feelings and I don't think he would believe me anyway). I remember feeling happy with him when we first met but I don't think I've ever felt as turned on as I have with this woman I have a crush on.

What worries me is that I've never fancied women or thought of them as attractive until this woman started flirting with me. I'm 25 and looking back, the only people who have hurt me in relationships were women. I used to be insanely jealous that a girl friend used to hang out with other girls and she hurt me deeply by treating me the way she did (I won't go into it but it was very controlling behaviour, hot and cold manipulation).

One thing is for sure, my feelings aren't fair on my fiance. I thought I loved him but when he proposed 6 months ago, I knew something was wrong and I think of him more as a friend. I don't really want to have sex with him or kiss him.

I really don't know what to do. Does it make me a lesbian/bisexual if I feel this way with one woman? Also, she has begun to call me gay (could it be that she is making me feel this way by controlling my thoughts or planting seeds in my mind?)

Thanks guys.

2. maxx

As someone who has struggled with being gay for 49 years and recently came out to my wife of 26 years, I encourage you to really be sure of your feelings and orientation before you make a long-term commitment to your fiance. Breaking it off now would I'm sure be difficult - but nowhere near as difficult as it would be later on. If you don't want to have sex with your fiance, or other men, and you are really turned on by your friend - sounds like you may well be gay! Which is great! Much better you know now. Even though I have been married for a long time, I now identify as gay - not bi. Women don't do anything for me sexually.

For now, I wouldn't worry about labels - but having a conversation with both your friend as well as your fiance about your feelings sooner rather than later might be best for everyone - especially you!

(*hug*)
    Maxx

3. randomflag

Thank you so much for your kind reponse Maxx. I'm really unsure of my feelings but I don't see a way to be sure unless I leave my fiance and what if I make a mistake and he turns out to be the love of my life and my close female friend was only a fantasy.

4. figuringoutme

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    I totally understand not wanting to hurt your fiance. When I officially came out as bi to my husband I was lucky in the fact that he's my best friend and he just already knew and was fine with it. Thing is , it dosent always happen that way and years later, with kids involved things can possibly be devistating.

I will take lots of courage to come out to him but I believe in you :slight_smile:

5. maxx

This may seem simplistic, but if you don't want to have sex with your fiance and think of him mainly as a friend, can he really be the love of your life? Don't you and he both deserve to have friendship as well as passion in your lives?

Just give yourself some time, be honest with yourself and others regarding your feelings. Remember that it isn't 'good' or 'bad' that you feel the way you do (or don't) towards others - it just is. We are who we are, we are attracted to who we are (baby, we were born this way! :slight_smile:). Just be honest with yourself and others in a judgment free way, and you'll be fine.

Maxx

6. randomflag

I used to be passionate towards him, that's why I'm confused. But I knew when he proposed that I wasn't ready but I had to say yes because his parents knew about his proposal and everyone would think I'm a bitch for saying no. At the moment, I don't want to marry him, I just want to run away and hide. I don't want to have feelings for anyone, it's just too painful and I'm confused. Everytime I think about my best friend (female) I want to cry, I want to care for her and love her deeply. But don't all relationships loose their fizz after a while, I think it's normal not to want sex with your fiance after a while? We're both used to sex and it can get a bit boring can't it. I'm so angry inside and sometimes I scratch myself because it's a relief. I really don't know where to start exploring my sexuality without taking a huge risk and cutting ties with my fiance, he's all I've ever known and he's my rock when things go bad.

7. maxx

First of all - take a deep breath. You'll figure this all out - I promise. Everything is going to work out fine.

Unfortunately, yes, a lot of relationships do lose their fizz after a while - many people settle for an easy situation, a comfortable situation, an expected situation, take the path of least resistance, etc. So easy to do - while being true to yourself is often so difficult.

You deserve to be happy. You. Independent of what everyone thinks you should do, or what *should* make you happy. It is so easy for us to fall prey to what is expected of us.

So... What makes you happy? Right now, it seems your best friend. Maybe there is a relationship there, maybe not - but it seems like one thing is for sure - your fiance is only a good friend and will never likely be more to you.

Can you talk to your fiance about your feelings? From what you are saying, you really are not ready to commit to a lifelong relationship with him... Please don't "settle" - for his sake or yours. You both deserve more. If he is a good friend, he won't want you to "settle" either.

(*hug*)
    Maxx

8. ToTheCeilingFan

Honey, if you don't feel ready to be married yet and only said "yes" out of obligation, you need to get out of this arrangement now. Yes, your fiance will likely be hurt, but it'll be worse if you wait and get married and then need to go through the messy process of divorce. It sounds as though you're questioning your sexual identity and what you want in life, both of which indicate that getting married right now is not in your best interests. Don't let yourself marry a man you don't feel romantically attracted to just because you don't want to hurt anyone -- in the long run, that will end up hurting everyone involved. Break up with your fiance and then go about exploring your sexuality -- it sounds as though you may be gay or at least bisexual. Good luck and sending hugs your way. (*hug*)

9. Rose

Hi there and welcome! You've already had some sound advice. You are only able to make choices for yourself based on your knowledge and experience. I really empathise with your position. It is difficult to let go of any serious relationship and I understand you not wanting to jeopardise it, in case it is the one.

However, the doubts you lay out, and the chemistry that exists between you and your friend suggest that you must explore your feelings, and ask more questions here! You and your partner both deserve to be in a passionate relationship. Yes, the fizz does sometimes taper, but be truly honest with yourself and that should help you to make the right decisions. If you have little or no desire to sleep with your fiance then there is a problem.

I've been there, but it was different for me- I was strongly in denial. You are being open and honest about your feelings, at least here. Keep posting and go at your own pace. Don't rush and certainly hold on the wedding plans. As Maxx said, better sooner than later. Yes it would hurt, but it would be far less damaging for both of you.

Rooting for you!

Rose

10. randomflag

A big thanks to everyone for their support.