1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think my sister knows...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Cody25, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Cody25

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I went to a gay bar earlier in the year, and my sisters gay friend saw me there. He was all excited, and I guess he told my sis because she posted about me going to a club with her friend. I deleted her post and told her to not tell my mum, which she didn't. And she said her and her friend were laughing their asses off. Idk if that is because I was at a gay bar or because I am gay, or because I had to delete it... Not sure what to do. Her friend could have been nice enough to not say it was a gay club... Maybe I should lead into a convo with her and say "So you know how I saw __ at that club? Well, it was a gay club..." Idk, any suggestions? I really want her to know, and I think she would be okay with it, I just want to make it as smooth as possible.

---------- Post added 19th Jul 2012 at 01:32 AM ----------

P.S.: I had a bad experience with my mum, so I am afraid of that happening again just with my sis...

2. Night Rain

I don't think it will be bad with your sister. First, she has a gay friend, which means she's not homophobic at all. Second, they were laughing because (I think) of how you reacted like it was some sort of shame. And her friend probably thought that it was safe to tell her, I mean, she is your sister and he's gay after all!
    I think she knew, and you should be open to her. Wait, is your sister older or younger than you? Anyway, don't worry about too much!

3. csm123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This new post of yours sounds so much better and more positive than your previous one with your mom basicly in deniel.

Your sister knows you were at the gay bar,she laughed but was ok with you removing the post from f/b ,she has kept quiet about the whole incident to your mom,sounds to me that for one she can be trusted,two she is not at all homophobic and finaly number three,she already knows but just needs you to confirm it.

If you can be out to, and accepted by your sister you could enlist her help on working on your mom.As i said before,things could be looking up a bit and it certainly doesnt look like you will be "loosing" your family over this.Having at least one family member on side would be a great start because the more your mom sees other positive reactions to this the quicker she will be pushed out of denial and move on to accept you aswell.

As far as telling your sister,i would say to just catch her alone and mention about seeing xxxx at the gay club,then just casually mention that she must already have worked out that you are gay and thank her for keeping quiet etc.If she seems supportive and full of questions,answer as honest as you can and try to steer the conversation to your current mum situation.After all your sister knows your mum better than any advice we can offer.

Good luck

#3 csm123, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  4. amigay

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  5. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is pure speculation but I'm imagining that the "laughing their asses off" was because in the past your sister and her friend probably had repeat discussions about you, and one saying "naw I really doubt he is" and the other "oh I'm getting vibes, I'm sure he is" - and they finally had data confirming one of them is more wrong than the other :wink:. Sounds to me like a "told ya so" laugh between two good friends, and a lot less about whether you are or not. Like other posters mentionned, the fact she has at least one gay friend shows she's open-minded.

6. Swim2Fly

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have a sister too! She has some gay friends, and she's completely tolerant, almost to the point that she wants to publicize everything about them. But she understands the importance of restraint, thankfully. So I think I understand what you're going through on some level. The difference is that I came out to her and told her to keep quiet. She definitely has. Listen to csm123! Have a little chat, or a bigger one if you want (I wrote a really long email that literally took 8 hours to write). I agree with awesomeyodais; I'm 99% certain she was laughing at herself for some previous conversation she had had with that gay friend, and this was the icing on the cake. Regardless, this is a very good dilemma to be in, and I bet you'll look back on it and laugh the same way your sister did.

Oh, and do you really say "mum" up in Michigan??

#6 Swim2Fly, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  7. Cody25

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks everyone for your input! I think I just needed that lil bit of reassurance. She is coming by tonight so I can go get a mini-fridge for my dorm. I bought the biggest mini fridge at best buy, but forgot that it probably won't fit in my little Chevy Cruze... Oops! Anyways, it's a good half hour of driving, so a good time to do it. And Swim2Fly, I have no idea why I spelled it 'mum.' Like, no memory at all of spelling it that way. So, no we don't. We spell it mom. Hahahaha :eusa_doh:

---------- Post added 20th Jul 2012 at 07:22 PM ----------

Yeah, my sister is more open than my mom, thankfully. I definitely think this is a step in the right direction :slight_smile:. Thanks for the advice, I never thought about actually talking to her about the situation with my mom...

8. SunSparks

I agree that your sister will be more than accepting. Good luck with your discussion! I'm sure it will go over fine. If its not too late, just remember to always have a plan B... A way to escape the situation in case you are in danger, but in this case I doubt you will need it.

A little off topic... Your dorms are already open for move in? Does your college start in July.... I haven't really heard of that that does so I'm curious. Oh, and feel free not to answer, I definitely don't want to make you reveal anything that might give out too much information :grin:

9. Cody25

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No it's fine haha, I have a storage locker by my dorm so I put it there. But yeah, if you are staying for research or something over the summer you can move in whenever you want. I am actually moving in in two weeks, but that is so I can run orientation for the freshies :grin: