1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just casually came out to my mom as questioning my sexuality

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Ally, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Ally

Ally Guest

I've only been working on figuring this all out for a couple of months, and it never occurred to me that I might have to fill my family in at some point.
    I won't get into the whole story on this thread, but if you care you can check out a couple of my other threads to get some background info.

Tonight during a weekly chat with my mom, who lives 3,000 miles away, our conversation went a little sideways after a brief discussion regarding my older brother, who has 2 children.

Here is a little bit of what happened:

Mom: I don't need anymore grandchildren from him. I'd like some from you though.

Me: Ma, I don't really want kids.

Mom: Hey, you never know.

Me: Well, I'm probably a lesbian, so how about I figure that out first and then we'll see what happens on the other side of turning 30 years old and starting my love life over from scratch, okay?

Mom: ...So now I have 2 gay daughters? Oh, hey, they finished building the shed in the backyard - I gotta go! I'll call you tomorrow, love you!

So who knows if she even actually registered it.
    As long as she continues to be supportive of my teenaged sister, who is a lesbian, I don't mind what she thinks about me going through what I'm figuring out right now.

I hadn't planned on mentioning anything to my mother for at least a few more months, which is when I'll be on a trip home to visit, but we're pretty close now that I'm an adult, so it just kind of slipped out and I think it'll be fine.

It's probably better to prepare her for the possibility as far in advance as possible, just in case I show up someday with a woman and she has to explain to my grandparents how that's possible after I spent 10 years in a relationship with a guy.

And it may sound insensitive that she basically hung up with me without at least asking me a little bit about it, but that's my relationship with my mother - we know we love each other even when we are crazy and forget to ask the important things because we are both easily distracted by shiny things and additions to the backyard. :icon_bigg

Now, my dad, that'll be interesting. :icon_wink

2. Fumi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Your mom is awesome! Those no-big-deal coming outs are the best, in my opinion.