1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came Out to one of my best friends.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Ralivar, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Ralivar

Hi everyone,

I know it's been quite a while since I posted anything on here, kinda been going through a phase of attempting to ignore anything to do with my sexuality.

Anyway on to the point of this post, I came finally came out to one of my best friends, I've know her for 5 years, known all the time I was gay but just couldn't tell her. I sent her a message by text, (I know not the best way to tell her, but I'd tried and failed to tell her in person, and even sanding the text was hard, I wrote it but didn't send it for a couple of hours.) I apologised for taking so long to tell her, and it was the fear of rejection (however irrational) that had stopped me. Being a text it took her a little while to reply, only half an hour or so but it felt like forever. When she did it was all good, I think a little sad because it had taken me so long but she understood.

So all in all it was good thing, I hoping that this being a good thing will give me the courage to keep going.

2. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations!

The hardest step on any journey is always the first!

Was she surprised? Or did she somehow "suspect" - I have that word really because it implies that there is something bad you have to be suspicious about - but you know what I mean.

When I came out, I was 40, and told some people personally and others by letter. I wrote to my sister and she called me and said that she just wanted what would make me happy, that she had felt that I had always been "searching for something".

It sometimes still feels as if I am searching, but I'm not searching for the same thing!

I wish you every success with your next step - make it a big, confident one! (*hug*)

3. toremi

toremi Guest

I am really curious to hear to hear more about this. I just recently had nearly the same experience, save for the fact my best friend is a guy.

I was too scared to do it in person so after we parted ways and were texting I did it then. It took me a while to finally get it out it was one of the most difficult things to date. Now I havent seen him since and it's kinda in limbo waiting to see I anything has changed.

I have this irrational fear that it is impossible for a straight male (my friend) to be best fiends with a gay/bi guy (myself)

4. BornAnew

Well done!! That half an hour must've been sooo loong though!

Good to hear her reaction is positive :slight_smile:

5. Ralivar

I am terrible at keeping up with EC, but despite the intervening 18 months or so I wanted to thank you all so much for your encouragement. Reading your posts made me feel so much, and even now they give me the same feelings of happiness.

As an update everything stayed good, how my friend acted towards me didn't change one bit (how she acted towards me was one of the things I was most scared about.) I have come out to a couple of more people in the last 18 months but I still have quite a few people that I have to/want to come out, but I'm getting there slowly.

Anyway again I just wanted to say thank you for your encouragement, I really appreciated then and now.