1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Worst 36 Hours of My Life: Coming Out To My Family

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Hollywood, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Hollywood

Please read this. It's worthwhile-I promise :slight_smile:

Well, I'm sure many of you saw my post in Chit-Chat earlier today saying how I had been Grounded because I had gotten caught drinking and had to sneak on the computer...here's the story...

2:00 Saturday: My parents call me downstairs and tell me "Life as you know it is about to change." My parents then produce pictures of me taking shots and smoking hooka that some bitch (I WILL find out who it was) sent them off Facebook. My mother screams and screams and screams and gives me these initial restrictions:
    -I'm grounded indefinately...aka for a LONG time
    -I can only have my car to go to school
    -I have to start seeing a counsler
    -She took my internet cord (she tried to take my cell phone but I refused to give it up)
    -If I don't make the school musical then I have to get a job
    -I am not allowed to leave campus for lunch on school days (aka I have to sit in the cafeteria by myself with the Freshmen and Sophomores)
    -If things don't change she will not help me pay for college in the Fall.

All this over pictures of drinking on only TWO different occasions that she has pictures of(hooka is legal. I'm 17) We scream and I cry and we scream for the next 5 hours...I can't take it anymore. I have to get out of my house. She is making me feel worthless and like a piece of shit all the time. This is literally hell. So I decide, its time to tell my ridiculously conservative parents that I'm gay. That way, hopefully they will either accept it and it will make things better or they will ask me to move out and I can live with friends for the next 7 months (I was hoping for the latter...it was that bad). They don't embrace it, but they accept it. They said they had seen it coming for a long time. My mother is civil for about an hour, then starts yelling again, even worse then before. It's so bad that I start crying uncontrobally and run upstairs to call my sister (I have two older ones). I come out to her between tears and she is totally fine with it and I tell her everything that happened and how mom is making me feel completly worthless and how this is the hardest time in my life and how I just want to move the fuck out (i actually started packing a bag). My sister convinced me to calm down. I hung up the phone, left my other sister a message coming out (lame, but I really didn't care at this point) and cryed myself to sleep.

Sunday I was forced to go to church for the first time in a long time. My mother starts screaming at me in the car after church about how I've broken every rule she's ever laied out for me (completly dramatic. This is the first time I've gotten in big trouble). I call my sisters again crying and saying how I just want to leave and I hate it. I cry on the phone for like an hour. Throughout the afternoon both of my sisters call my mother, she screams at them too but I think it calms her down a little. That night, she goes back to that god forsaken church of hers. She talked to the youth pastor thats shes close to trying to "make sense of this" (she blows things way out of proportion) and she FINALLY seems to understand that I'm at an age where I have to start being accountable for my own actions almost entirely and she can't cut me off from everything.

So...I'm only grounded for two more weeks with my car only for school but I do have to start seeing a counseler...and I'm out to my family plus 8 people.

But I still feel like shit. I want it to be august and me to be the fuck out of this house.

2. bleep

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    *hugs*

That pretty much sounds like the worst thirty-six hours I can imagine. I hope things get better for you. My mum's got that religious streak too, and my father's got that tendency to over-react so if you put the two together, I suppose you'd kind of get your mother. I don't like the thought one little bit.

*hugs some more*

3. jroakwood

im sorry james.
    but things will sort out, things will cool down.
    hang in there bud.
    at least they know.

4. BabyBoy

WOW! That's awful. We're all here for you.

5. Nodnarb

Wow...I'm so sorry! I can't imagine how horrible that had to feel. But just stay strong, things WILL get better. You're mom will calm down and you guys will figure things out.

6. Astaroth

(*hug*) I'm so sorry, James! My current misery is nothing compared with yours, but at least we can be company. I really hope things get better... and quick! (*hug*)

7. Oh James I'm sorry things have been that bad. (*hug*) It was risky coming out to your parents at a time like that but at least they didn't do anything drastic, and they know now. I hope you get back your privileges soon once things calm down. Things can only go up from here =) (*hug*)

#7 Midnight Angel, Jan 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2008
  8. Hollywood

i love EC. it always makes me feel better :slight_smile:

9. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    James, we love you too! Hang in there! I think you've hit rock bottom and things can only go up at this point.

10. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She's absolutely right James. I'm sure things will start going better for you. At least I hope they do. Remember everyone here on EC is here for you. Hang in there, hun. :kiss:

11. n1ck

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That is certainly coming out with a bang!

At least now your cards are on the table.

Hope it gets better for you... :kiss:

12. Rizpaz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Damn dude... (*hug*)
    That sucks bad. Well like everyone has said, it can only get better from here. Hang in there man.

13. Blitzkrieg

I hope things get better for you, at least your parents know now so you don't have to hide who you are anymore. (*hug*)

14. otc877

otc877 Guest

After reading the title, my stomach lurched. I feel for you man. Hang in there.

15. Grof142007

(&&&) (*hug*) Yikes rough times but dont give up you can and will make it thru this. i so feel ya about moving out. hell i got a job saving up money(starting next week this paycheck im blowing mp3s camera and stero) to get out.

Dont ya just love the NC attitude

16. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Well, there are some gay friendly people in NC. My best friend Tim lives there and his daughter wrote a great article in high school in support of marriage equality. I thought she was pretty brave!

17. STK

STK Guest

Your mom sounds like a :***: ! I want to rip her larynx out for you.

18. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Just because hollywood's mother acted irrationally does not mean she is a bad person and that we need to be calling her names. She is acting out of ignorance and fear. Please take that into consideration. I'm sure there are many good qualities about her. She just needs some education.

19. JSG

JSG Guest

Woah ! Harsh !
    Insuting mothers....:eusa_naug

20. Bromptonrocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Sad but enlightening that you came out - if not in the circumstances you would have wished for. As the others have said, it will get better.