1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Religious Conditioning to hate

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by The14Me, Jul 31, 2012.

1. The14Me

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out this past April to my wife.
    I spoke a few weeks later and told my oldest son.
    This month my wife decided to tell my two other teenage sons who are almost 18. She provided them with lots of details and I was horrified.
    I have since spoken with them and explained that was too much information.
    Now my wife is seeing a right winged religious couselor who expects me to change.
    I am having a hard time dealing with the fact I had the courage to come out at all and now this BS.
    My mother says I am an abomination and is cutting me from her will - I say okay, no problem.
    All of this is because of biblical conditioning against Gay people. It really sucks. I feel so tense and ill at ease here in my home.
    I have responsibilities with my family & my home, but I am at the point I really do not want to be here, however because of financial reasons I need to stay.
    Ok, the point of all this is religious hatred against Gay people is causing me a lot of grief.
    I hate the amount of hatred expressed by so called Christians and that includes my mother & my wife. My kids tell me they love me and that it doesn't matter to them.
    I have found myself in a most difficult place because I decided to be honest about my sexuality.

2. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there!

Going to church is a choice. I am Greek Orthodox and was excommunicated for confessing to my priest that I was practising homosexual. I chose to leave and, although I miss the community of the church, I don't regret my decision to follow my heart at all. I do not believe God would condemn me for being who I am.

Your wife has no right to determine whether or with whom you seek counselling. If you are not happy with your cousellor, you can say so and change. If your wife isn't happy, well, that's her choice.

You must not let yourself be cast either as a villain nor allow yourself to become a victim. You have been honest and people should respect you for that.(&&&)

3. Caoimhe Fayre

(*hug*) what you have done is very brave and you are to be commended for your courage and honesty. it sounds like your wife and your mother are both completely out of line.

as a survivor of the ex-gay movement, I would discourage any attempts at "change" because those do not work. I personally tried several methods of conversion therapy and all they did was serve to make me hate myself, and no change in orientation occurred.

I hope you can figure out a path that will work for you. I can't really offer much advice, but I want to offer whatever encouragement I can.

4. The14Me

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks to you both, I appreciate hearing from you all.

---------- Post added 31st Jul 2012 at 04:54 PM ----------

So now that I have told all my most personal history about every (sexual) detail (only because I was so freaked out the day after I came out that I gave into my wife's demands to tell her EVERYTHING - GUYS do not do that!!) only to have some of the people I love tell me that I made a choice about all this and that I am nothing more than a willful sinner.

I guess in their minds that's what it boils down to but I know better.

But talk about oppression, denial and having delusions - I am sorry but any Christian who opperates so hatefully against their own family member I think is actually the one with the problem.

It is sick and I will not be put down and humilated against with the hateful words that my mother & wife chose to use against me.

I am seeing a divorce attorney on Monday for a consultation.

I have seperated most of my finances from my wife.

I am wanting to leave or have her leave.

This coming out as a married man with sons does not work. It is making me a nervous wreck. I am surprised I still have a job.

Now I find out that my mother has been "outing" me to other family members.

Really, that sucks too. I do have the balls to tell these people myself. But you see the Christian blindness is to be hateful, condeming and shame based so for my mother to "out" me and not respect that I would be happy to have done it myself really pisses me off something fierce.

#4 The14Me, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  5. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Keep the kids. Your wife doesn't sound like she would give them as good an upbringing as you would. More power to you, mate!

6. The14Me

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks again all.

I am beginning to get my "voice" back after all the bashing that I have been subjected to simply because I decided I needed to be honest about my sexuality.

Hey, I did want to have kids and I thought my marrying was the best way to do that - I actually still think that. But my coming out needed more research about what to expect.

I had gone into counseling and I went through my whole life story but that really was not enough.

At this point it is all in the past now - well since April 24th 2012 anyway.

I am finally beginning to get my mind back - well sort of, maybe.

After I came out, I could not work - I had to take a 2 month leave. I am still in a dilema about it. I think I am suffering from some type of low grade depression.

7. IllusiveRannoch

idea for thought: find a nice sized stone to keep in your pocket, & sunglasses. pull stone out of pocket, & set it right in front of her next time any hate is thrown at you. given the religious indoctrination, i'm sure she'd know exactly what that means. :badgrin: smile, laugh, then walk out while putting some shades on. :sunglasses:(Wont Get Fooled Again plays)

(hope that cheers you up)

8. The14Me

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes that did cheer me up because you have me smiling & actually laughing!!!
    My wife is over seeing those damn right winged Christian counseling bigots right now and I am sure to hear more about my abominations - that's the kind of shit I am living with, oh and I pay all the fucking bills around here while she gets to act self righteous and reminds me about what the "Bible" says about homos. Whatever.

But thanks for the reply!!

9. IllusiveRannoch

well i'm glad to help. anyone can keep that idea & use it freely. i wanna know if it silences the uptight people it's used on.

10. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very sorry to hear about all this! If nothing else, cling to the knowledge that your children accept you - and as far as your wife and children go, well, perhaps someday things will change. My suspicion is that your wife goes to these counseling sessions in the hopes of finding out how she can "change" you - i.e., hold on to you.

Don't worry about taking time off from work - given the situation, I think it's entirely warranted. Are you still seeing a (real) counselor yourself? Whether depression or something else, it could probably help a lot in dealing with the situation.

Not sure what else to say except to reaffirm that you're doing nothing wrong! (*hug*) You're just being honest, and in the long run that will be better for you than anything. Hang in there.

11. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Please realize that you did do the right thing though, not only for yourself, but your family as well. As long as you remember that what your wife, mother, and other family members say negatively towards you is wrong and hateful, you'll be ok. It's sad so many people are blindly led to misinterpret the bible and produce hate, ignorance, and intolerance instead of kindness and love like it was intended. It's also really nice to hear that your kids know better and are accepting of you.

12. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm glad to hear you are taking advice about divorce. It sounds like it might be messy, given your wife's character, but it will be worth it in the end to get your self-respect back.

I wouldn't worry about your mother telling people - they were going to find out eventually and it saves you the trouble of having to pluck up the courage and do the job yourself.

Those that really care for you will not change. Those that do - well - do you really need them in your life?

Your boys are the once most affected, and they love and accept you. (&&&)

13. Night Rain

What about your sons? How old are they? Are they taking the news well?

14. The14Me

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    my sons are in their late teens - my oldest will be 20 soon. they say the understand & love me. I think one of my sons is having a problem even tho we have talked, he is withdrawing more from his friends - it seems.

15. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Did he tell you that?

I'm not sure why your journey would cause him to withdraw from his friends - I doubt that you are a conversation point between your son and his friends.

16. The14Me

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am observing it - he's sleeping all the time & constantly on Xbox, maybe I am reading his behaviour wrong. I am concerned.

17. Night Rain

Oops, somehow I seem to have missed the entire first post. I must have been sleepy. I'm really sorry about that.
    It's good that they understand. The younger generation is more open-minded. I hope that you can somehow get them to side with you, if they haven't already. They are your best chance at convincing others in your family and explaining to them how wrong they are. Maybe you don't even need to do that. Even if all is lost, at least you still have your sons. Do you mean your son is having a problem with you, or is it his own problem? If it has something to do with you, I guess he is just uncomfortable and it may take a while for him to get used to.

And I agree that you need a divorce. It's impossible to live with your family under the circumstance. You need to get away from them as soon as possible. If people call someone else an abomination, especially if they're related to that person, they need to look at themselves. But I was under the impression that you had some financial reasons to stay? If possible, get your wife a good counselor. She is too deluded already.

18. This might be your sons way of dealing with everything.

How old is your son? My seventeen year old started this behavior at about thirteen or fourteen. Not sure why, but in my experience, there are a lot of teens who live like this. We've also had several family members/close family friends pass away in the last four or five years and every time someone passes, my son sleeps for almost two days straight. It's just his way of coping with stressful situations. It does seem like a phase they go through. My son will be starting his senior year of high school, has a girlfriend and just began his first job.

My advice is to just let him know that you are there for him....unconditionally. And that whatever he is going through...you'll be there at the end waiting for him. Sometimes these reassurances are needed (even when the child says that they know this or you think that you've already done this).

BTW....I am a divorced (seemingly, hopelessly closet-locked) gay male. I haven't had the courage to come out. I've made some bad decisions in my life which has already hurt enough people and right now I feel like if I was to come out....it would just create more pain for the people I've already hurt. So....I admire you for being able to come out to your wife (I actually met my wife in church....I understand the whole 'religious' ramifications of your situation.

The teenage years suck....both for teens and parents. I think most parents forget how bad the teen years suck. AND most teens don't seem to get the fact that their parents were once teenagers and have gone through the same difficulties.

19. The14Me

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do appreciate hearing from you all.

The Xbox thing with one of my 17 year olds is common enough, but he's now dropped out of football yet he's not communicating that to his coach. I have explained that he's going to need to get a job yet he's not to interested in that either.

I want to cut him some slack here but at the same time I am concerened.

20. weboflies

This may seem a little extreme but if you're paying all the bills and your wife is doing nothing but be abusive (which is what it sounds like), why not give her an ultimatum? If she has such a problem living with an "abomination", she can leave