1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to a member at my former church

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by BradThePug, Aug 1, 2012.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well.. tonight one of the members of my former church posted a pro-Chick-Fil-A photo. Well, I told her that the photo that she had posted was a fake (It was a taco bell sign made using a sign generator). She then said that I was hating on her. One thing led to another and I finally decided to tell her that I was gay just so she would shut up.

The end result: she blocked me. That really does not bother me because she harassed me for years.

Also, she will probably tell all the other members of my old church. So, this will mean that word will get around to my extended family.

At least I will finally be fully out. Might not have gone how I expected it... but whatever. What's done is done.

2. Katelynn

*hugs* That took a lot of courage, but Im proud of you. I hope your family is more understanding than this person was. If you need to talk at all, Im here for you :slight_smile:

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks!! There are only a couple of people in my extended family that I am worried about. It might take them some time to get used to the idea, but I'm sure that they would be ok with it eventually.

Also, an update...
    The person that I got into the argument with decided that she was going to post a facebook status telling everybody to "stay away from me because I am demon possessed". Since she blocked me, I cannot see it. I heard this from one of my friends that took a screenshot of it...

4. SkyDiver

I'm sorry. (*hug*) But I totally admire your courage.

What a horrible and hate-filled creature.

5. Gen

Gen

Shes not worth the time. (*hug*). Plus, truthfully most people are probably just going to look down on her for posting that even if they dont know you. Who really claims possession on people? :/

Though you're better than me. Even though I dont have/want a facebook, my friends would probably cuss her out for me lol.

6. IllusiveRannoch

hey, (*hug*)(&&&) lots of love here. well, no going back now. 'demon possessed' :lol: . geez. sorry about the zealot. but if she's apart of your former church, i'll fill you in on an idea which might just silence her that i shared w/ another guy gettin' lots of hate too.

-find a nice sized stone to keep in your pocket in case of confrontation, & sunglasses. pull stone out of pocket, saying something like 'i would challenge you to a battle of wits, but i see you are...unarmed...well then by all means, you'll need this' (toss stone) might not hurt. because of her religious indoctrination, i'm sure she'd know exactly what that means.:badgrin:. put on the shades (laugh while doing it), then turn & walk off to leave her pondering in realization of the egomania on her part. (Wont Get Fooled Again plays):icon_cool

hope it makes you laugh some. but feel free to try it out. i want to know the expression on the uptight people it's used on.

---------- Post added 2nd Aug 2012 at 01:16 AM ----------

i wouldn't worry about getting heat, you could call anyone's bluff anytime. but in all, what you did took some quad. i'm certainly proud of you.

7. Pain

Pain Guest

Yeah, something similar happened to me last night too, actually :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But I just posted a link to that insightful "The Bible and Homosexuality" debate and unfriended her, because there was already a heated debate on her post.

Seriously, if she went on to say you're demon-possessed... You really are better off without someone so ridiculous. That was brave of you to stand up like that, and cowardly of her to say something about you after you couldn't see it. You shouldn't feel a loss though. When they act worthless, they axiomatically lose their value.
    Good luck with the family and how it all goes.

8. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry to hear your coming out didn't go as you expected it or wanted it to go. As the other posters said though, it took a lot of courage to let her know, and also to stand up for yourself. (*hug*)

9. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks guys!!

I haven't heard anything from other members of the church yet. I posted a link to the bible and homosexuality debate and she would not even read it.

I had been slowly cutting her out of my life, this was the death blow for our friendship. I had been planning on deleteing her for a while now, so this sealed the deal for me.

10. Night Rain

People like her won't ever change their opinion. It's best if you just avoid them. Others will find them ridiculous anyway. "Demon possessed"? This belongs in some cheesy horror movie, not real life. If she can say that out loud, I doubt anyone would listen.

11. Caoimhe Fayre

(*hug*) it can be the hardest with religious friends. hopefully some people from that community will come forward to support you, even if only privately. I agree with everyone else, you are brave and you should be proud of yourself for having that kind of courage.

12. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just another voice to show some support - like others have said, what you did took a lot of courage, and who knows - it may end up working out for the best over all. When others see how this person reacted to you, they might be encouraged to show you some support, or distance themselves from her. Who knows?

And it sounds like you're pretty sure the reaction from your family will be basically positive - could be in line for a win-win situation. :slight_smile: