1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Person #2 (and kickin depression out)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by hawkeye, Apr 7, 2005.

1. hawkeye

I feel great right now! For the past few months, I've been going through a depression, as I notice seems to be attached to anyone who hasn't come out yet. I couldnt stand it anymore! I was slipping in school, I couldn't sleep, and I was always preoccupied. I felt like I just had to stop it there. A few weeks ago, I had told a friend, and it turned out very well (that story is already posted), but he lives a while away, and it had no lasting effect (probably because I dont get to talk to him every day, and i dont see him often at all). Last Tuesday I decided that I would tell my mom, but I decided this the previous night, and I stayed awake all night. Woops! oh well, the next morning I woke up early and told my mom that I had a problem, and that I wanted to stay home to talk to her; thank goodness she agreed! I ended up going to sleep for another 2 hours then I came down for breakfast and to tell her. That was an experiance I would like to never have again: I has trying to make oatmeal, shakeing, studdering, and all the while trying to tell my mom. Finaly when I told her, she said " oh honey, your just confused" and gave me a hug. that was the most meaningless hug I had ever had. She for some reason figured that she knows me better than I do! I guess that's a reaction thats to be expected though. anyways, It was a very awkward conversation, consisting of very short sentenses and long pauses in between. One of the questions she asked me was if I had told my dad (my parents are divorced and I live with my mom and step dad), I told her that I hadnt told my dad and that I sure as heck hadnt told my step dad (he always ripps on gays). Her response had put me at ease a little:"well, Don't think that he wouldn't accept you." I guess she was accepting everything then, thank goodness. She asked me if I wanted to see a consoler, and I guess it wouldnt be a bad idea. Like I said before, I did feel like I was in a depression, so we are going together in about a week. After that, I feel great! I love what hincoq said:
    "I was alive before I came out, but I wasn't living."
    I feel great now, like a new burst of energy. I've seen a lot of people say that the surefire way to tell parents is to tell them when you aren't dependant on them anymore, but thank goodness i told my mom earlier! (I'm only 16 now)

Attached Files:

2. Aaron

Aaron Guest

Aww...thanks! :slight_smile:

I'm glad you're feeling well. I think seeing a councelor could be a really good experience for both of you. While it will give you a chance to get all of your feelings, concerns, fears, etc out in the open, it will also give her a chance to talk about it with you more, with a third, neutral party to give a different perspective. Good for you, and please let us know how it goes. It will all be easier from now - the mom is always the hardest, but once you have that entrenched support at home, you will feel like you can accomplish anything!

Good luck! :slight_smile:

3. Micah

Congrats! Seriously, telling your parents (even if it's only your mum so far) is usually left till last, as it's the most dreaded step in the process. I'm glad she took it well, and hopefully it wont take her too long to realise that you're "not just confused".

Hincoq is right about having entrenched support at home. I'm sure at first things will be a little awkward, but hopefully she'll be a good support in your journey to the outsides of the closet :wink:

Well so far so good :grin: Good luck with everyone else

Dave

4. goratrix

Congratulations... It's great to see that you are coming out to the world. I feel a bit wierd right now. I just found out that my mom is coming next week (she lives abroad), and I actually thought of telling her... I guess your post is some kind of sign then...

Anyway... congrats... and I'm glad it all turned out all right!

5. tinkergeek

tinkergeek Guest

Yay for you. I find it is like the domino effect. Once you get started, it just keeps on going. All of these successful stories are real inspiration.

6. hawkeye

thanks for all of the replies!

Goratrix - don't rush into things if you dont feel ready yet, but I hope everything goes well for you, whatever you decide.

7. quietman702

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    hawkeye, wow like Micah said... coming out to usually the hardest person first... very proud of you!! Know that we are here to support you... would encourage to find a counselor locally that is LGBT friendly for a resource too.