1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I just came out!!! No what about my team???

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Sam9210, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Sam9210

Sam9210 Guest

So I recently just came out to one of my best friends who is a girl and she loved me even more...she said she already knew from me being friends with her for so long. she helped me get through on telling some other of my friends and most of them said they knew and some were really shocked about it. they were just waiting for me to say something to them about it because they all knew it was not right to ask if i was gay. i never knew coming out was so easy for some people. my friends love me even more they say and i feel like there is so much weight that is lifted off of my shoulders. its very cliche to say that but it really is true knowing that people are okay with your sexuality and love you for who you are and know it does not change anything. Now here comes the really big problem. trying to tell my family which consists of my mom, dad, sister, and brother. Now im more than sure that my mom, sister and brother will be more than supportive about it,. but its the coming out to them part that makes me so nervous. maybe i should wait? but another problem is, is that i swim on a swim team in college that consists of 30 girls and 30 guys including me, and to tell my team that im gay will be life changing. i dont know how to do it? they way i think of it is that you lose friends and you make friends, and the ones you lose were never your friends in the first place. I have told some of the girls on my team and they were all so excited about it. But, its is just telling the guys on my team. I dont know how they will react. I did also tell another gay guy on my team which i felt so comfortable about. Im thinking because everyone knows that he is gay and are accepting about it that they would accept me for who i am too. lets hope this goes well when it does come out. cross my fingers!!!

2. Dolphinkid

Welp, good luck and congrats, don't knw why no body commented :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Sam9210

Sam9210 Guest

Thanks so much! IM taking it step by step and telling people one by one and see how it goes.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For what it's worth, the swim team and the cross country team, stereotypically, seem to be the ones that attract gay athletes, so you may find that some of your teammates are poofs, even if they're closeted. :slight_smile: And, these days, unless you're at a conservative (i.e., Christian) college, most people just don't care.

5. stumble along

Yay I'm really happy for you and that everything is, dare i say, going swimmingly

You seem to have a great support network so whatever you face ahead will be less so because of it, good.

What do you mean swimmers are poofs I don't even how is that possible I I I
    Error 404 10028374-@*#-@)!

6. Flow

Congrats! :grin:

7. Rose

Sounds like you are making brilliant progress! Congratulations!! With your parents and sister, why not give yourself a little break? Take some deep breaths and if you feel too nervous right now, wait a little. If on the other hand, you feel objection with this advice, you'll know you are ready. Then you must find your steely courage and go for it!

If you were able to come out to your team you will be doing the world of sport a great service. It is a known fact that many athletes stay closeted through fear. If you can do this you may well encourage others and the world definitely needs more openly gay sportsmen and women. It seems as though your team would be supportive and if someone as already gone before you there should be no problem.

Good good luck with all you are facing right now!

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Certainly not *all* swimmers, just my (non-scientific) data sample over the years has found a lot more poofs who are current or former high school/college swimmers or x-country guys (and occasionally soccer players) than, say, football or rugby or lacrosse players. But there are some of those too :slight_smile:

9. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Really? Soccer players? That's interesting :surprised
    On my soccer club, there is literally not one gay guy (well, who's out, I guess). And there are about a thousand members.. about 900 of which are guys (I roughly counted, and only included teams up from about age 15), and I'm telling you.. not *one*! About 50% of the girls are lesbians, but no gay guys. I've always wondered why that is..

To the OP, congratulations! :slight_smile: Sounds like you have some awesome friends!

10. Lark

Lark Guest

What?? Swimmers are gay?? Impossible! (literally just got back from swimming)

Anyhoo, congrats on coming out and hope telling your swim team goes swimmingly! (never let me tell jokes -.-)

11. Sam9210

Sam9210 Guest

thanks guys! Yea i maybe rushing things it seems like. When im ready to tell others may take time, but when it is time to tell them, I will not hold back. :icon_bigg