1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to friends and family.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Mello23, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Mello23

it was ok when i came out and told my friends (well, exsept with the guy friends who are straight and have a crush on me and make me want to beat them to a bloody pulp). my family, not so much. well, most of them didnt really care, but my mom is really getting on my nerves. she has been trying to make me seem im alot like her, cause she is so depresed and had a bad experience in her past childhood. im nothing, NOTHING like her but she wont take it, there is a difference (and i mean BIG difference) from being raised more like a boy and given more boys responsibility and bein tomboyish to bein gender queer/transgender and so forth. its really making me mad. my mom is very depressed, im mad (no not mad angery, mad mad, like mad hatter X3) i really hate it when she compares me and my life to hers cause its nowheres close to bein similar. other than that, it was ok as i predicted. though how to get a relationship and make it work wont be so predictable -_-'

2. Phantosmiac

Have you tried talking about your discomfort at the comparison between the two of you? I have found that a lot of times that pointing out an issue alone can solve it.

3. Superlife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Firstly, well done on coming out to your family and friends, that's a massive step! :eusa_danc

Okay now onto the problem. Talk to someone else in the family who has accepted it (or a friend if that isn't possible). Having a face to face conversation can really help! You may even discover a reason why your mum may be feeling like this. Also, don't forget that people of that generation were never extremely accepting of the LGBT community and quite possible will associate those feelings with those of depression. Therefore, if your mum has experienced depression, that is why she is comparing you to her.

Hope this helps. Stay strong (*hug*)