1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The best kind of response from friends after coming out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by IanGallagher, Aug 7, 2012.

1. IanGallagher

Just wondering what everyone else considers their best/favorite response.

For me it's just when dudes continue as they always would around you and nothing's changed at all nor things that would stray the lines after finding out - hugging, etc. Just that always seems cool to me because it shows they're 100% cool with it.

2. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I used to be entertained by all the, "I never would have guessed!" type responses, but those got boring after hearing them nearly every time I came out. These days, my favorite responses are the ones where, after I casually mention that I date the menfolk (my preferred way of phrasing it :slight_smile:), it doesn't even phase them, and the conversation continues as if I had just told them I'm actually left-handed, not right-handed like they assumed.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I always enjoy the "You think that we didn't know" type responses. I guess that it is obvious that I am not straight.. I've been getting more of those responses lately.. which is much better than the ones that I had been getting.

4. Whatevs91

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well I've only officially told one of my friends, who happens to be a big crush of mine. I did it all online, he went through several stages, first he thought i was joking and didn't believe me, when i finally convinced him he was a bit silly with it. Asking stuff like 'You really want sex with a dude'. Then he got to the acceptance stage, where he said he didn't really care. And now we're back as we were before. All happened in like 20 minutes.

Really surprised at the outcome, I thought for sure he knew already. I've hinted towards it STRONGLY before, and when i did come out he was like ' I never would have guessed '. I also used to flirt with him constantly, cannot believe he didn't see any of it. I must be really terrible at flirting, lol. The only bad thing is, I've kind of concluded now that he is actually straight, when before i had hopes.

5. ryanninjasheep

I wish people were more suprised...

"Meh"

Not the response I was after. C'mon! I want some drama, people!

6. King

King Guest

I agree with ryanninjasheep... When I come out to some of my friends/co-workers I'd like a little bit of "Ohmigosh really?!"
    But they probably won't react like that, I seem pretty gay sometimes so they probably already know...

7. BudderMC

I like a little bit of surprise, but not to the point I'd have to go on convincing someone for an hour that I actually am gay.

I think I like when people don't know that I am/weren't expecting because it tells me I was doing a decent job watching my actions while I was closeted, which I suppose is rewarding in some very sad sense. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

My favourite so far was when I told my straight guy and girl friends at the same time. I was expecting neither to really care, and as soon as I said "well, that's all I've got planned for this conversation, I dunno what to say now..." he responded with "good, 'cause I'm BURNING with questions!.. if you don't mind of course :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:". Needless to say he was cool with it. Definitely lightened things up at the time since I was a giant stressball.

8. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I told my mum, she said, "You're not, are you? Shit!"

And then asked me if that's why I had a beard like George Michael :eusa_doh:

9. Phantosmiac

I kind of like a little "Wow!" but so far, that seems to be the only response I have gotten, other than an awkward silence and an avoidance of the subject from then on. I personally would like a little variety.

10. GreenRaven

my best response was actually one i gave...which was "are you serious? :confused:....LMFAO" in response to my mother telling me that before i came out my uncle had apparently turned to my aunt and said "my niece is going to come out soon"

mind you my uncle is a semi famous pastor non-denom christian and i NEVER expected that kind of response from anyone in my family. i expected something like my mother....the dead silence and suddenly (more) bible verses on sticky notes around the house.

as for my friends...they're the ones who helped me find out that there was other options XD. didn't know the lgbt world existed til i was 17.

11. Cloudbreaker

At work one day a coworker said she wanted to ask me a question and somehow I just KNEW she was going to ask me if I was gay. So I couldn't help but smile as she nervously fumbled with her sentences as she tried to phrase the question in a non-offensive way. When she finally got the question out, I confirmed that i was gay and work continued on the same as always. It was wonderful to have the other person be the nervous one for once, and even better that it didn't change anything.

12. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I much prefer an accepting, but nonchalant response like, "Really? That's cool." and then moving on to another topic. Each time I come out I usually hope for a similar response from someone. It's pretty boring, but so far most of my coming outs have been like that.

Once in a while I would like people to be surprised, or at least curious, as that would bring up a conversation about it. And I'd also like a , "Me too!" response, if only once. That way I can say I helped someone come out.

13. Rarar

So far, I haven't got the 'I never would have thought...' reaction. Apparently, everyone already thought I was. =P

I've had a 'how do you know' one and the best reaction was from my female friends who (on FB chat) put ':O' then 'i still love you' (in a friendly way).