1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I came out yesterday

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Reckoner, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Reckoner

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Its been a long process but I have pretty much fully came out.

Yesterday I told my parents at the same time that I was gay.

My dad was smiling the entire time, but my mom had an extremely concerned face.

Overall it has been good and I feel glad that I finally have that off my chest! But my mom is being absolutely crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She has already gone on 4, 20 minute rants about how im at risk now and im gonna get aids and die pretty much. Shes telling me im not allowed to go to gay bars, online dating websites, go downtown, even dating.

Im just glad that my brothers and sisters got my back on this and agree with me that my mom is being redic!

Good thing im moving out in september :slight_smile:(!)

2. Whatevs91

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi Reckoner,

I actually came out yesterday as well! Great feeling, right? I've never felt such a high, and i feel so much closer to my family already. Mine went very well, but when my mum first found out i might be gay she did the same, she was even close to kicking me out. But now like 5 years later and i officially came out to her, she's fully accepting and proud of me. Hopefully it will be the same for you, and she will learn to accept it.

I'm also moving out in September ! Can't wait, Good luck to you! :slight_smile:

3. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :thumbsup:

She's not being homophobic - she's just worried about her baby! :thumbsup:

HIV and AIDS is almost the first thing people think of as "dangers" associated with being homosexual. She doesn't want to see you sick - she's trying to protect you which is what she's been doing since you were born.

I think she'll calm down and your dad seems to have taken it OK - perhaps he'd already guessed.

Reassure her that you'll keep yourself safe - once she knows it's OK, she'll be fine.

:smilewave

4. Phantosmiac

I agree with Bobbgooduk, its that protective motherly instinct. Remember that a lot of people used to think that it was only homosexuals that ever got HIV or AIDS. Even if a straight person got it, they blamed homosexual intercourse. She may have grown up in an environment that believed that, while she may not believe it is only gays that get it, she may think its still more common. Just let her settle down, she'll come around to your way of thinking.

5. Caoimhe Fayre

congrats!!! I agree with everyone else, give your mom time and she might come around. she's probably just scared for you and doesn't understand yet. I'm glad your dad and siblings are so supportive, and I hope your mom does come around soon!!!

6. Romi

I'm not going to bother being redundant by repeating what everyone else said about giving her time. I'm sure you got that part already. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I am going to give you a high five, smile like a goof, and jump for joy that you, and Whatevs91, were both able to come out yesterday and feel better about it. I know a weight has been lifted. And it's a wonderful feeling. I'm glad that you were both supported by people you love and care about. (&&&)