1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wearing GSA bracelets always helps. (:

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by colorful, Aug 8, 2012.

1. colorful

I was with a few friends (at church by the way) and as we were walking out this is what happened

Friend 1: Hey what does your bracelet say?
    Me: the colorful one?
    Friend 1: *nods*
    Me: Why?
    Friend 1: Because I know what it means.
    Me: Yeah it's a GSA bracelet.
    Friend 2: GSA. Ohhh Girl Scouts of America.
    Me & Friend 1: No Gay-Straight Alliance.
    Friends 2: Ohhh. Okay.

*Proceed to talk with friends in car about gay issues, their gay cousins etc.*

Good way to find out how your friends feel about gay stuff before you come out to them. Haha.

2. dreamcatcher

Lol that's awesome! Maybe I should try that one day!

3. Romi

It actually is a nice median and conversation starter, especially for those that aren't very geared toward gay issues.

I have a Day of Silence bracelet. And I used to wear it constantly. I absolutely loved when people, particularly people I knew weren't big supporters of gay rights, would ask me what it meant. Because then I had every right to flaunt my LGBT in front of them. After all, they asked. And I could give them the information they needed instead of them making dumb ass assumptions.

When they'd see me, someone they knew well and trusted and thought was wonderful, sporting lgbt memorabilia... it made them stop and think twice about their own beliefs and views on the lgbt community.

4. ToTheCeilingFan

My ex initiated a conversation with me for the first time because of my rainbow paraphernalia. It's a great way of coming out to people without actually having to say anything. :slight_smile:

5. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

Yup dont leave home without ma rainbows lol (i have two bracelets and a belt so far. am going to get suspenders and a keychain thingy next)

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a collection of these bracelets on my wrist..lol

They really are a great conversation starter. I've had a few people that have asked about them.

7. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

Did you make it ir buy it? I made a pin for the Day Of Silence last year! Now I really want a bracelet lol...

8. SunSparks

OMG - thats so awesome. I've had this necklace that has this silver pendant in the shape of a dog tag but much thicker and it has lines of color from the rainbow. Its sorta discrete but I think it gets the message across well to those who are aware of LGBTQ.

Its like this:

[​IMG]

9. Lad123

Omg I want that necklace! xD

10. Phantosmiac

Where do you get these LGBT bracelets?

11. PeterShore

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Same! Anyone knows where to get one? :grin:

12. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    #12 Lance, Aug 9, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  13. Lad123

14. Lad123

The necklace arrived this morning! Its so cute!!! It doesn't look cheap regarding the price so I'm happy with it. I agree with SunSparks, its pretty discrete.

15. Night Rain

Can you take some pics of it? It looks really cheap on the website...

16. Lad123

I put the images in spoiler tags. Sorry about the quality, I took them on my iphone.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had a look at the link I gave earlier and it seems they have removed the product lol they must have had like 1 in stock or something.

If you're thinking of buying it then try these sites:

Rainbow Pride (cheapest but only 1 in stock)

Gay Pride Dog Tag Rainbow Dog Tag Necklaces for Gays | eBay

17. Night Rain

That looks cool. :grin: Yeah I did have to search for other sites.

18. Romi

Neither actually. We had a booth during the Day of Silence at my university. They were giving them out to those who wanted them. Of course I wasn't going to pass up a chance to show myself and my beliefs off. Advocacy! But I really do want to make some new bracelets. I also have a lot of shirts that I made at uni concerning all matters of lgbt affairs. :grin: National Coming Out day is always fun on campus.

19. PeterShore

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yeah, looks really nice :slight_smile: The link from the site where you ordered your necklace from isn't available anymore, though.
    I'll try to buy the rainbowstudio link one (only 1 left? xD)... buuuut I need help from a friend to buy it for me (don't have a credit card and I don't want it to arrive at my home LOL) :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I hope it looks the same as yours, because I really like it.

20. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    GSA...girl scouts of america LOL :lol:

I actually just responded to another similar thread in the Chit Chat forum about wearing LGBT bracelets. Surprisingly, in my experience, I found that it doesn't help me come out!

This is what I wrote in the other post (it pertains to this thread so I'll just copy it over):

I have one of those NOH8 silicone bracelets, which is huge! It's an inch wide white band with "NOH8" embossed on it in black and red. When I bought it, I wasn't out to anyone and I thought this might be a good way to hint into my sexuality by wearing it (I was pretty sure everyone had at least heard of the campaign, especially since I go to school in San Francisco). Once it arrived, I put it on, and my friends noticed it. They would see that large band on my wrist and try to read it. Then most of them were like, "Oh, is that the marriage equality campaign?" I would just say yes, and they'd be like, "That's cool." Even my parents asked me what it was and I'd tell them it's for proposition 8 and for marriage equality, and I don't think my mom quite heard me. She just says that it's a cool looking bracelet :confused: She's not very observative and doesn't pick up on things I say.

Either way, surprisingly, no one has linked the fact that I wear the band to the fact that I'm gay. Not a single person asked about why I was wearing it or asked if I was gay or had some affiliation to the campaign. They were just like, oh cool bracelet, and then moved on. I was actually kind of hoping it would help me come out in a way, but I guess not :eusa_doh: