1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm came out...to my teacher

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by daggerz, Jul 25, 2006.

1. daggerz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well i cam out a few weeks ago. I told a teacher at my school who's helped me through personal problems this year. Though I didn't see him with the intention of just telling someone 'i'm gay' it was more 'i think i'm gay....now what?' sort of thing.

I also chose him as i'd heard he was gay...turned out he is so he completely understands.
    Well this probably sounds boring but i want to write down how i came out so i figured why not on here.

well I saw Mr Smith a few weeks before I spoke to him and we arranged a meeting, he didnn't know what I wanted to discuss though.

I got to school (i'd left as my exams had finished) and he told me his office was open so i sate down and watied a few minutes for him to get there adn while he finished something on his laptop. then he sat down opposite me.
    He suggested what we talk about, as i mentioned 6th form while he was working. But I told him there was something else. At this point I had a pit in my stomach. i had been visuallising how it would be and that made me dread it even more.

At first I struggled to say what was on my mind and went on about how I have enough things going on adn don't this making it worse. So after a few minutes I came out with "I'm gay or bi" He was relaxed about it. he got up an started looking for something, a small book. He encouraged me to keep talking as he was still listening. I told him how i was worried I wouldn't ever be able to tell my parents and how it confirms that i'm different.
    He handed me a phone number and told me to carry on talking. so I did fro about 5 more minutes. On the whole he told me that people are more open about sexuality and because i know a guy my age is a gay that it'll be goodfor me to talk to him. Actually he seriously thinks i should talk to him. The main he said was I needed toa ccept it, I couldn't change it and that it isn't a problem.
    As we left I was saying how i gambled to choose him, but Idve chose him anyway as i knew eh would understand. He then said to to me "But you know why I'm fine with it." i'd heard he was gay, but he just told me he was. Also I knew he was when he said that gay guys and gay grils don't really hang about together.

Well thats the ifrst time.
    My mate guessed on teh phone when i told her what I was talking about it. Still I didn't have to say it as she asked me "Do you and Mr Smith have something in common?"
    Then the next day I had to tell my psycologist, who i was seeing for teh first time and i phrased it as "i'm not straight"

2. jake83

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow daggerz. You've certainly got alot of courage! Well done, you did really well to tell your teacher, and it's great to hear that he was understanding.

What do you think about the guy in your year who is also gay? You know, you don't have to be his boyfriend, you can just be friends. And it might be cool to be able to be comfortable around someone your age who knows your gay. Remember, you can just be friends with him.

And telling your psychologist is a good step too. Hopefully your psychologist will understand that you're gay, I think that's important.

3. Brandon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree, it takes a lot of courage to do what you did. I'm sure that when you tell a lot more people it will make you feel like a lot of weight has been lifted off your shoulders.

4. daggerz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I thought I might just point out that i'm a girl.

My teacher thought it would be helpful for me to speak to Marcus because he's been through the whole coming and accepting stage.

5. vinylsoda89

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    good for you! i know from experience that you just feel things a lot clearer once you've come out. its just one less person to worry about sort of thing. you'll probably find you're more relaxed around people who know you're gay(or bi rather), i know i am. its never easy to come out and the worst thing you can do is beat yourself up about not being as out as you think you should be. the thing to remeber is that its not some huge rainbow bang in the sky and then suddenly everyone knows you're gay. kudos to you for coming out to mr.smith,and he's right, people aren't as closed-minded as you might think. actually, i've made most of my friends because i'm gay. if i hadn't come out i still wouldn't have friends because i would've been afraid of them finding out that i was gay and never want to speak to me again. I'm sure you have friend, i'm not saying you don't, just don't count people off by thinking you'll be automatically shunned once they find out your bi. and jake83 is right ,your psychologist should know so that he/she might be able to help you through any issues you might have with being bi. Just watch out if they start saying that you have a mental desease-they changed that in the mid 7o's. :)

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Congratulations, it must feel really good to confide in somebody you trust.

7. kcc181

kcc181 Guest

yeah, I came out to one of my old teachers who I know is gay. He really supported me and everything but he said he couldn't legally give me advice? I understand completely, but he gave me a phone number to call. I'm still a little unsure...

8. chrisb

Teachers are seriously trustworthy people........... no one realizes how much they help you till its to late to tell them.....good for you realizing he was a good guy to tell.

9. Jinx

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    That's super cool. :slight_smile: I also was lucky enough to have an openly Gay teacher at my high school. At the time I thought I was Bi and he was always there to talk. He also headed up our GSA. Congrats!

10. davo-man

It's always nice to come out to someone you respect. Congratulations Daggerz, if you still come to this forum. However the OP is dated more than a year ago, so I'm thinking maybe not...

11. biisme

that's great!!!!!!!!!! you're on a spree!!!!!!!

12. Bromptonrocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well done and I'm glad you've found someone who's supportive and trustworthy :thumbsup:

13. Wired106

Wow nice job :slight_smile: congrats

14. Psychedelic Bookmarks

yeah, congrats. i came out to a teacher recently. well done. :grin: