1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out On Facebook: The Final Step?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Hollywood, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Hollywood

I think that it is...and I think that I might do it soon.

What's your opinion on how Facebook has redefined the coming out process in that way?

2. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I would love to come out on Facebook - just get it over with already. I have been *so* close to doing so, so many times.

But I think my main problem at the moment is that there are some people who deserve to find it out from me: Facebook comes after this I think.

But to come out on Facebook is really good I think, once you have all the important people out of the way: it's even quicker than gossip, and saves you having to come out to all those vague acquaintances you have... I think that the fact that we have the opportunity to come out on Facebook and MySpace *has* revolutionised the ways we can come out - but I think that the essential process, especially where non-supportive family are concerned, remains the same.

When no one cares about sexuality anymore putting up who you are interested in on Facebook will not be "coming out", but rather, it will merely be putting up who you are interested in on Facebook. I eagerly await this day.

Good luck if you do decide to come out that way - I hope it goes well - and let us know how it goes!

3. lostinthought9

whats facebook?:icon_redf lol

if its anything like myspace, go for it, thats probably what im going to do after i tell all the important people, just go post a blog or bulliten....good luck tho!

4. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's a great question... I think it's very convenient but it makes coming out very passive-aggressive. It's kinda like... well, when my mum died, there were a bunch of my friends who didn't know because we don't talk that often so I hadn't kept them up-to-date or because they just weren't close, close friends or they were close friends but they didn't live nearby... and I kinda agonised over how to tell them because I didn't want to have 12 separate conversations about it. Finally I sent a mass email to those people who didn't know who I thought should know... and I still felt that was kinda awkward.

(Not that I think someone you love dying is equivalent to coming out but they are, to me, of similar import.)

Facebook, myspace, etc.... that's even less "personal" than a mass email because at least a mass email is directed to a specific group of people. So overall I think (as has been mentioned) it's fine to do after everyone who is worthy of knowing has been told in some more personal way but in terms of if someone isn't actually out or is only out in a very limited way, it's terribly uncouth.

5. Kovax14

Kovax14 Guest

yeah facebook makes things official i think, and just answers anyone's questions right off the bat without their having to consult you directly. they even have an application called "you are gay" that displays a big rainbow flag on your facebook page lol

edit: i agree with joeyconnick that the important people should be told through more personal means

6. biisme

i came out on facebook. and no one noticed.

7. Hollywood

definatly. it would be shitty to informally come out to close people that way

awww im sorry :frowning2:...if i came out on facebook my school would explode. everyone would be whispering about it the next day. my school is huge, but i know a lot of people (not to sound concieted, but i just know how things would play out)

8. sdc91

I'm not sure I want all 450+ people knowing. I'd have to clean out some people from my list, first.

9. BabyBoy

I don't think I could ever come out on facebook, myspace, nothin like that. I'd rather just come out to a few people that didn't know, and not be so "Oh don't tell anybody!" about it, cuz I know they'll spread the word, and shit will get out, and that'll be the end of it. Saves me the effort.

BUT, that ain't happenin lol

10. Astaroth

Well, I don't have Facebook (yet) but I'm out on Myspace. I have to keep my profile private for the next month or two just because of some drama between a few of my friends not wanting to be linked together romantically yet and it would be obvious since the only way I know one of them is through the other. If that makes sense. :lol:

Edit: Realized I never really got to the point of the post, lol. What I was meaning to say is that things were overall very positive. In fact, I found out a few other friends were bisexual in the process (no gays yet, though) and received a lot of congrats. It was very positive overall.

#10 Astaroth, Jan 22, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  11. dreamfinder

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I came out on myspace and Facebook and no one noticed, so i say go for it