1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Holding myself back from coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Neo, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Neo

Neo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I only just came out of the closet for the first time a little over a month ago to my sister, her girlfriend, and her best friend who is like a second sister to me. At the time I was still unprepared emotionally to come out to my parents and my brother, who are completely supportive of my sister for being a lesbian.

In the time since then, my sister has introduced me to some of her gay (guy) friends, since I don't really have any, and even went to a gay bar for the first time with one :eusa_danc but that is for another story. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that I feel like things have been moving at warp speed as to how I am feeling about myself and about being gay, and couldn't have imagined being ready to come out to my parents a month ago, but I feel that I am at the point where I am ready to stop being something I'm not, and want to be able to be open and honest with them. The only problem is that I am still for some reason terrified at the idea of actually telling them, I was at their house yesterday for dinner and I was helping my mom in the kitchen and all the while I was just thinking in my head "just tell her, just tell her, just tell her", and of course I didn't say it. :bang:

Also complicating the matter is that my older brother who has a 5 year old is going through a pretty rough divorce right now, and I now that is stressing him and my parents out a lot, so I keep telling myself that I should wait until a time when they are not as stressed to come out (my sister doesn't think so by the way). Am I just making up excuses so that I can justify to myself putting off something that I am scared to do? Any advice or motivation would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really think you have that much to worry about. Since your sister is a lesbian and they are fine with that, I doubt they will have a problem with you. To me, that would make it much easier if anything. It will most likely be a bit of a shock initially though since it's a little unusual to have 2 out of 3 of your children be gay. lol

As for timing, that is a bit of a tough one since you're right in that they all are probably a bit stressed, but I would say it's more-so your brother than your parents. If you feel you are really ready to come out to them, then by all means I say go ahead and do it.

3. JB75

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm only about four months ahead of you but I have come out to my parents (it was on the 4th of July, how about that for Independence Day LOL). But the the best thing i did was I wrote a letter to my parents. I had on intention of sending it but it was a good exercise to think through what it is i wanted to say and to collect my thoughts. When i did come out, much of what I wrote came out and I felt confident in what I was saying. I've thought about giving them the letter now because really in that moment neither your or they are going to remember everything that's said. My parents have been great btw. Oh and another thing.. There's never going to be a perfect time. Yes your brother is going through difficulties but that shouldn't drive you. You come out when you're ready, on your own timeline. The night I came out my uncle had a heart attack so it just goes to prove life doesn't stop. Good luck Neo. Your parents are going to love you no matter what.

4. The14Me

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I decided to come out, I did it in person. That worked best for me.

5. Neo

Neo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the advice and support, I feel ready to come out to them, I just need to build up the courage and do it. I really like the idea of writing out in a letter what I want to say to them when I come out as a way collecting my thoughts.