1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just came out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Robin, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Robin

The first person I came out to was my therapist.

I remember bringing it up to him in one of our sessions and he said that he had a lot of experience in the matter. We discussed it for multiple appointments and I went through phases of wondering if I was bisexual, or just going through a phase, or just wanting to try something new. Eventually, we settled on the fact that I was indeed gay, and I accepted it. I decided that I’d come out of the closet when I was in college, and my parents weren’t around. Then I could just bring someone home one day and, well, surprise them. That didn’t happen.

I went to my mom a few days ago and told her I was gay.

Now, my mom is all three of the things that a gay kid like me is terrified of. Catholic, conservative, and anti-gay, so I had a lot to worry about. I came home from being away at work for a week and I had one day to tell her before I had to go back to work for another week. The days had been going extremely slow because I had decided I couldn’t take it anymore and I was going to come out to my mom on that day. So, I came home, and I was in a panic attack. Luckily I can hide them pretty well by locking myself in my room and taking a shower until I calm down. My mom was sitting in the living room watching TV while I was researching how to come out to your parents on the internet in the other room at one point, and banging my head against the shower wall at another (Not unlike this smiley. :bang:slight_smile:. I finally calmed myself down enough to go into the living room and sit down. At the last possible second, when my mom was going to go to bed, I told her I needed to talk to her. The websites had all told me to say I was gay without beating around the bush, and to say it without fear or sadness, so I did that. I told her I was gay.

Her reaction was actually awesome. I had a lot to fear because of all of the conservative, catholic, anti-gay stuff, but it was really all quite an experience to see my mom actually become happy at the fact that I was gay. She was proud that I was able to gain the strength to come out to her and she was really on board with it all. My therapist told me that I’d find support in places I didn’t expect. I really didn’t expect my mom to be so supportive. She even pointed me towards this website, being extremely helpful in the process.

Now, here I am.

I’m still alive after coming out. I’ve only come out to my mom though. I need to come out to my definitely anti-gay brother, and my totally totally absolutely anti-gay dad who once told me that I could bring any one home to date as long as it wasn’t a guy. I hope those coming out stories go as well as this one, but as it stands, I’m still not out to my brother or my dad, or my friends for that matter. I’m terrified because telling all of these people is going to be quite a challenge. This story went well, but I'm afraid, and almost positive, that those won't. It’s going to be a rough year.:help:

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, Robin!

First, welcome to EC! I'm glad you've joined, and how incredibly cool that your mom turned you on to this place.

Second, what a wonderful story. I was preparing myself for a "My mom threw me out on the street" or "said she wouldn't pay for college" or something as I was reading along so it was such a delight to read that she was actually OK with it.

And... the fact that she pointed you here, I guess means that she already suspected and had done some research on it. We actually have a fair number of parents who come here looking for support and advice, perhaps your mom is one :slight_smile:

I can't speak for your brother, but very often, when a parent in particular says stuff like "You can bring anyone home as long as it isn't a guy"... they already suspect, and they're trying desperately to maintain their denial. It's less that they're as anti-gay as you think, and more that they're hoping upon hope that their suspicions are wrong. So you may actually be surprised when you do come out to him.

And I have a number of friends with very straight, very homophobic brothers who, after a little bit of adjustment, have actually turned out to be totally OK with it... it just takes a bit of time.

I would wager that *both* will go better than you expect. But... take your time.

3. Robin

That part about my dad is probably true. He keeps asking me if I'm going out with some girl or what my type of girl is. Every time he tells me that I should go out with a specific girl (which is kind of weird for him to say), I just say, she's not my type (which is the truth). Then he always asks, well then what is your type. I'm thinking he's suspicious. I've never had a girlfriend before, and at my age I'm apparently supposed to have had one (according to my friends, my brother, my dad, my mom, my aunt, and my grandparents), so I think everyone's a little suspicious.

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congrats on coming out to your mom!! I'm glad that she was supportive!! It's also pretty cool that she pointed you here.

I'm sorry to hear that your other family members are homophobic. They might be homophobic right now, but their views will be challenged when you come out. This might make them rethink their position on the issue.

5. paul

I am in the same boat, Robin. Although I am sure my mother would be accepting and idk about my father, my brother and other sibling are anti gay. He once told me that he would disown me if I was gay after I walked to the dinner table wearing pink socks

6. Sayu

Wow, your mum is great when despite all the thing what you said about her (the "trio" that every kid is scared of) she is still that supporting :slight_smile: You know what? I think she loves you to death! :slight_smile:

7. karl178

Great first steps, don't put too much pressure on yourself, you should be proud to have told your mother and hopefully encouraged by her positive reaction. Sorry to hear about your father and brother, I have a feeling though that in fact their reactions might surprise you for the better (cue your therapist's commentary), but that will be found out in due course. In any case, great progress with this :slight_smile:

8. Robin

Thanks. I'm sure my brother will probably have his ideas about gay people changed, but my dad is definitely going to have trouble with it. He's a difficult person.

9. tom100

Hi Robin - a great story and go you for having the courage to take the first step.

Parents - I'm one - can be difficult, I know, but Chip is never wrong :icon_bigg
    and so, yes, he likely knows already. Plus you already have your Mum on your side and I'm sure your Dad loves you too.

Be strong.

Tom