1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to Mum and brother.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Wayfarer, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Wayfarer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I got my exam results came out (no pun intended) yesterday. My Mum had driven me to the school to get them and on our way home, we got to talking and she said how proud she was of me for doing well and even if I hadn't, they would've helped me with it all anyway. I'd been preparing myself to tell her and Dad for a while and I'd decided this 'proud of you' conversation was an ample opportunity for me to explain that I'm gay. I basically asked her was it true that she would love me despite everything or anything. She told me of course, and basically, I told her the 'big news'.

She was totally cool about it! Just asked me a bunch of questions about was I sure, when did I properly know that I was gay, the usual. She hasn't treated me differently since. She was very straightforward though, and said that some (ignorant) people WOULD treat me differently and prejudice/discriminate against me and the only reason she really wouldn't want me to be gay was so I wouldn't have to go through all that. I know where she's coming from though. We both decided that I won't tell my grandparents and grand aunt, they're VERY Catholic and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't approve. Not yet anyway.

My brother and I are quite close so he's known for a few months - it's weird, we didn't even have to say it out loud, he just 'knew'. I still have to tell Dad but I'm working on it, just waiting for the right moment. I will keep you updated! :thumbsup:

Sorry that this got so drawn out, I just had to put this out there. I also want to thank EC because it really was the PROPER beginning for me as far as coming out goes. Honestly, I'm feeling so much more relieved and free, like I can breathe properly now (that is so corny right?) Thanks you guys! (*hug*)

2. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats! That's really great to hear you have some supportive people in your family.

3. paul

That is a really cool story. Glad for you!
    Best of Luck,
    Paul

4. karl178

Nice, good for you :slight_smile:

5. Indigo Fox

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations, both on the exam and for coming out.