1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just came out... Through Facebook?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Fae, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Fae

Fae

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So I just came out to a group of my closest friends. Through Facebook, which seems ridiculous. But the thing is, we’re all doing different things with our lives at the moment, and our schedules and locations are all over the place. The only chance I’m going to get to speak to them before I move to another country for five months (where I’m not guaranteed reliable contact with them) would be at a large group event next week, where I know I won’t be able to catch any of them alone.
    So I sent out a Facebook message. Only to four people, but they all mean the world to me. I have no doubts whatsoever that they’ll be accepting, but I’m still nervous to see their reactions. You never really know until you know, you know? But I’m in a really good place in my head right now, and I’m confident in the fact that I know who I am, so nothing’s getting me down too much. I just guess I needed a place to pour out all these nervous and proud and excited feelings, so that I don’t explode.

Here’s the message I sent them:
    'Hey guys. I’ve been working up the courage to do this for a while, and would’ve probably done so in person if everybody wasn’t all over the place or super busy and stuff. So, pretty much, I just wanted to tell you that I’m gay. You’re my closest friends, so if I couldn’t tell you guys, then who could I tell, you know? I’m just sorry that it took so long, but I thought that I’d better get it done with before I disappear for the next few months. But yeah, so now you know.'

2. secretguyX

That's great! I hope they're all good about it, but they sounds like they will be :slight_smile: Congrats on being brave enough to do it!

3. alwayshope11

4. NicoleV96

NicoleV96 Guest

Good! :slight_smile: It doesn't really matter where you tell them, just the fact that you did shows that you're ready to do it, and that's what matters. So congrats to you for being able to tell them, and I hope their reactions are as good as you think they'll be :slight_smile:

5. dl72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congrats.

6. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

Congrats, that was so brave of you to do!!

7. Fae

Fae

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks everyone :slight_smile: Reactions were all good - it was basically along the lines of 'We've seen this coming for a while now, but we're proud of you for finally telling us, and we'll always love and support you no matter where your life takes you.'
    I honestly couldn't be any happier right now :grin:

8. Rarar

Aww, you deserve to be happy! :grin: Congratulations, and well done for having the courage to come out!

9. stephenjack

Hey congrats! Good luck on the responses too! I cant wait til i get enough courage to come out of the closet. I like the idea though of telling each person i know individually and in person because i kind of find in amusing and comical to see each persons facial response and compare it with how you thought it would be haha. Maybe soon for me but until then i have EC. i bet you cant wait to tell everyone else in your life too!