1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best age for coming out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Calico, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Calico

Hey guys,
    So I was wondering - based on your experiences of coming out/ coming out experiences of people you know, when is the best age to come out?
    P.S: To any American EC'ers, please state the age, and not 'junior' or 'sophomore' year etc., because I'm an Aussie girl and they just confuse me. Thanks :slight_smile:.

2. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

I don't know

I came out at 22 (This Year) But I guess if I had the confidence to do it earlier then I probably would have came out at 21. I didn't wanna consider anything till then so that's why 21 would have suited me.

Basically I don't think there's ever a specific age to come out because generally people deal with coming to terms with they sexuality in different ways and some take longer than others to realise it.

I would say that the earlier you come out the better because then you can start enjoying life more but the bit I highlighted in bold is my thoughts on it.

3. Given To Fly

I'm starting to come out now, at the age of 31. But I really wish I'd had the balls to admit the reality, at least to myself, years ago. I'd probably have saved myself a lot of heartache. But I couldn't face the extra bullying that may or may not have come with it.

4. Ianthe

I think it depends on you and your situation.

If you can be out, it's better to be out.

If you would face negative consequences if you came out, then you have to weigh them against all the negative psychological consequences of being in the closet.

If coming out would put you in danger, you should wait.

Basically, come out, if there is no reason not to.

It doesn't have anything to do with age, really.

5. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's difficult. If you come out early you may not be taken seriously and you might be at an age where class-mates aren't mature enough to deal with it. If you come out late you might miss out on some experiences. At the end of the day, there really isn't a best time, you should only come out when you feel that the time is right for you personally.

6. Eve

Eve

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I was 38. You should come out when you're ready, you'll know when the time comes.

7. julia

I'd say maybe 17-19. But honestly it doesn't matter and it totally different for everyone. Some people realize they're gay at a very young age and others don't know until they've been married and had three kids. I think the best time to come out is when you know 100% you're gay/bi and you're comfortable enough to say it out loud.

8. BBird75

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm 37 and just trying to figure out now how to tell people I'm gay. So far, two close friends know properly, and I've experimented by telling an acquaintance who's distant enough from my usual social group not to have too many consequences. I think the next person I tell will be the real challenge - my husband! This is the scariest period in my entire life, folks. (And I'm not taking it as lightly as my tone here may suggest!!) Can anyone relate to what I'm going through?? Eve???

9. TalkDTalk

I will join my story to BBirds'.
    But my advice to you is that you should be very careful.
    Coming out to a husband who probably has not guessed so, appears to me to be the hardest thing to do.
    Why dont you guys hang out in an airy and serene atmosphere with you guys alone (and being sure that he is in the best of moods), then hold his hands (or any way you usually show affection to him) and break the story to him bit.........by bit.........by bit.
    These things work with understading people's mind & psychology.

Just a suggestion. We have better gurus in the house.
    All the Best

TalkDTalk:smilewave

10. stephenjack

im 15 and not out and personally i think it's best to come out around ages 18-22...those are the years in your life that you are most sexually active and able to date it seems...i don't know why but i just feel those ages are right. is that weird?

11. littlebear133

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    When you are ready, no matter the age

12. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really think that it depends on the person. Everybody is different. It takes different people different amounts of time to come to terms with their sexuality. So, my answer is whenever you feel ready to come out, come out. (Unless there is some sort of danger, then I would wait.)

13. Nemo39122

Whenever you're ready, really.
    However, I would be cautious about being 100% out while you're still in middle school and high school where there's a risk of bullying.

Just for me personally, in the past year or so I've felt more ready to be out and like I can handle any potential problems that may arise. Some may feel that way at an older age than me, and some may feel it younger. I'm 19 by the way.

14. Wonton Burrito

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Personally, I'd say before you go to college. That way your family won't think college changed your values, or anything like that.

15. Calico

Thanks everyone who answered, there's been some really interesting replies :slight_smile:
    I think that if you come out too young, you're gonna be bullied and parents are more likely to call it a phase. Thats pretty much the only reason I'm in the closet right now.
    I didn't even think about what it would be like if I came out in my late 20s or early/mid/late 30s... I definitely won't be postponing it that long lol (I'm 13, so thats a long time....)