1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my parents today!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Neo, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Neo

Neo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I initially had no plans on when I was going to come out to my parents, but on Friday I was hanging out at with my sister, her girlfriend, and a few of her friends, when they started asking me when I was going to tell my parents that I'm gay. While logically I knew that since they are accepting of my sister I wouldn't have to worry about being rejected by them, I was still afraid that they would be disappointed to find out that 2/3 of their children were gay. But I knew that I was ready to be more open about this part of my life and I wanted to let them know before I start telling more people outside the family, and I just decided that I would have to treat it like a band-aid, where you just pull it off quick and it hurts for a minute, but then it's over and you're relieved.

So we planned that we would go over for lunch at my parents today and I would tell them. So without telling them I was coming, I showed up at my parents house a little bit after my sister and her gf got there. After about an hour or so of putting off telling them, during a moment of silence my sister prodded me by asking what was on my mind, then my dad asked how it was that I ended up coming over for lunch. So I told them that it wasn't exactly coincidence that I had come over, and that I had something I wanted to tell them. I got a little bit choked up while I told them, and I am still having a hard time saying to others the words "I'm gay", but afterward they said that they were glad that I had found the courage to tell them, and that they still loved me and were proud of me, and the only thing they want is for me to be with someone who makes me happy and treats me well. :eusa_danc

While I feel great about today, I feel like I've just climbed one hill to find a taller one standing behind it. My brother still doesn't know, and I am not out to any of my roommates, friends or coworkers, but I know that I wouldn't even be at this point if it weren't for the community here at EC, so for that I am grateful to you all. On the plus side I told my mom that she could tell my aunt and uncle who live nearby, and a few family friends who I don't mind knowing, since I know she likes to gossip, and it also saves me from having to be the one to tell them. :icon_bigg

2. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats! I'm really glad to hear it. I figured they wouldn't have much of a problem with it given the information in your other thread from last week. :eusa_clap

I understand what you mean about having a bigger hill to climb. I'm only out to my parents as well and still have yet to tell friends. I don't really see it as something that has to be known right now though since I'm not dating or anything. It's just hard to tell something pretty personal like that and the unknown reactions are scary.

#2 Lance, Aug 19, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congrats!! I'm glad to hear that your family is supportive!!

You may have a bigger hill on the other side, but you have one less hill that you have to climb.

4. Silvails52

Awesome job! But if you ask me, friends are a lot easier to come out to than parents and family. It may seem daunting, but I know you can do it!

5. ilovecats

ilovecats Guest

Congrats! I'm glad your family is accepting. Good luck coming out to everyone else. :slight_smile:

6. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

That's really awesome to hear! Congrats on going for it! :slight_smile:

I totally get the whole bigger hill in the horizon part, but try not to think about it too much. There will ALWAYS be a harder and higher situation to deal with. For now, just enjoy yourself and be happy that you have made it so far :slight_smile: