1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My homophobic friend and worrying mother (kinda happy story)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Rarar, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Rarar

If you've seen my earlier thread {Merci, Facebook :wink:}, you'll know that I came out to my friends on FB. Today, I was talking to a homophobic friend of mine who didn't know I was gay. So I told him. He was actually okay with it. Bearing in mind that he often talked about how 'gays should be killed as they're unnatural', this came as quite the shock, thankfully! =D

However, I haven't come out to my parents, yet, though. And I'm not sure I will too soon. My mother gets really weird about 'what people think.' I've tried confronting her about it, but she tells me to 'quit being so arrogant.' :S She's actually *banned* me from posting statuses on Facebook after 11PM because she thinks that "it looks sad makes you look lonely and desperate for attention". I told her how I do not care what people think, but she won't listen to me. Any ideas on how to get her to listen to me?

2. itsjoanna

i feel like i should bump this because no one said anything.
    congrats on coming out to your friend!

About your mom, I don't know to be honest. You can just tell her that's not how teenagers are .. Just say you aren't doing it for attention because you're not like that. Just keep reminding her you don't care. ORRRR, if you're friends with your mom on fb just don't make her see your statues. LOL.

3. J Snow

Congratulations on coming out to your friend. Often if someone is homophobic, finding out a close friend is gay might impact the way they look at things.

As for your mom, I think there is no reason she should even be looking at your facebook. Personally I believe that's an invasion of privacy, but I guess my parents are very... boring and make fun of adults that have facebooks lol.

4. Mango

From what I've personally witnessed, I wouldn't come out to my parents, unless I was absolutely certain about how that would react. I've seen far too many kids kicked out of their homes for being some part of the LGBTQ family.

I'd play it cool on the home front!

PS.

Hopefully you're friend is as cool as he initially appears to be...