1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my mom!.....sort of

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by silkfrog1292, Aug 24, 2012.

1. silkfrog1292

So today i was having lunch with my mum at this really small cafe, and this dialogue happened:

Mom: *sigh* Silkfrog, be honest with me, have you thought about ever getting a girlfriend?
    Me:....(pretends to focus on my food)
    Mom: It's ok you know, or you have even thought about it at all? Is there anyone you like?
    Me: *looks around* erm mom??
    Mom: I always wonder when you're gonna bring a girl home....
    Me: Mom! when i do bring someone home, it's not gonna be a girl OK?
    Mom: *pauses* oh.... (continues eating) i should've guessed...

I know, this doesn't exactly count as "coming out" per se, since i never explicitly mentioned that i am gay or that i'm gonna get a boyfriend, but it's kinda obvious right??

I'm feeling scared/nervous/elated/relieved all at the same time right now....:grin:

2. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Guest

Since you insinuated it, I think she figured it out. xD
    But yey. :slight_smile:

3. IllusiveRannoch

a congrats is in order. no matter what way you sent the message, nice job. i have this idea of how i think i might be able to come out to someone who asks me in the future. it's kind of vague, but i think it might be clear enough. it's not much, but it's a start.

person: 'so, do you have a girlfriend?'
    me: 'no, i don't'
    person: 'mmm, are you looking for one?
    me: (while lightly laughing & smiling) 'na, i'm into guys.'

it's all i've got so far, i'll have to think of more later.

---------- Post added 24th Aug 2012 at 06:00 AM ----------

and it's ok to have mixed emotions because of this. i'm guessing you're scared because you don't want them to react negatively (nobody would), elevated because of the chance that she'll be supportive since she said 'i should have guessed', nervous because she might know, she might tell others who might (or might not) form negative opinions about you because she's possibly looking for answers on what to think, and relieved because you feel like you don't have to hide anymore and can show the real you without fear of judgement.

if you feel like this, i completely understand because it's kind of how i feel about what might happen if i came out to someone.

#3 IllusiveRannoch, Aug 24, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  4. Cloudbreaker

That is an awesome way to come out, in my opinion. Subtle, but still gets the point across. I wish I could have come out like that. I think it definitely counts as telling her, but maybe you could bring up the conversation again just to be sure she doesn't try to convince herself that you meant something else? Perhaps ask, "So what were your thoughts when I told you I wouldn't bring a girlfriend home at lunch the other day? Telling you was kind of a big deal for me." Or something like that.