1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sure, lets just have a family meeting while I'm coming out...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by CosmicPunk, Aug 26, 2012.

1. CosmicPunk

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    First, I just want to thank everyone who has posted their coming out stories on this board. Without them, I would have never grown a pair a balls to come out myself. "Am I gay" posting was by far the most encouraging one.

So on Friday afternoon, I went for a very long bike ride through the forest preserve. I needed to get some serious thinking done on how I was going to come out if at all. I promised myself that it was time (I'm 22 years old) and that I had to take complete control over my life.

Here's a bit of information: I'm Mexican American and come from a very big Mexican American family. Mexicans in general are known for their 'machismo' and overall homophobia. I can't say I've ever heard my parents say something hurtful or homophobic but I know its an issue.

(By the way, All of this was said in Spanish. Which only made it 100x more awkward.)

Anyways, Saturday morning comes around and I start to mentally prepare myself. I go find my mom and sit by her. I guess she picked up on my vibe because a few minutes later she turned the TV off, turned to me and said "Theres something you need to tell me. I can tell. What is it?"

Me: uhhhh nothing.... (I was shaking and about ready to abort the entire mission)

Mom: Tell me. You can tell me. What is it?

Me: I'm Gay.

There was a short pause then she told me that she was expecting me to tell her that my ex girlfriend was pregnant. I couldn't help but laugh. Then she went on to say that she didn't care that I'm gay and only want me to live an honorable life with whoever I decide to be with.

Instantly I felt a ton of bricks lifted off my shoulders.

We talked for a couple minutes but everything was fine. Then out of fucking nowhere my Dad walks into the room. Something I wasn't expecting or planning for.

So then I told him to just sit and told him. I was seriously expecting it to be a huge problem with my dad because of the mexican machismo thing but his reaction was even better than my mother's.

Youre my son and I love you. Ill always love you. I just want you to live a good life.

Part of me didn't want to believe it. "It can't be this easy!" kept running through my mind.

THEN OUT OF FUCKING NOWHERE AGAIN

My older(24) brother walks in. So he too sat down and I told him. His first reaction was "No you're not dude. What about all those girls?!?"

Me: "Dude, I'm Gay"

Him: "Oh, youre serious? Thats cool man. I dont give a shit". Then he gave me a hug.

After all this I went into my room and had to sit for a while. Coming out to 3 different family members all within 15 minutes. Hardest thing I've ever had to initiate, but the best thing in the world!

Thanks for everything EC

2. Night Rain

I'm laughing out loud (and I was expecting your sister to come in too, or at least a forth person)! And congratulations:thumbsup:! You have an amazing family.

3. rg93

Haha, that was epic! I too was expecting gramps to come in with freshly baked cookies and then your uncle dropping by for a surprise visit. :grin: That's great, congratualtions! You're lucky to have such a supportive and great family! :wink:

4. Gen

Gen

Oh you're not done yet, the family reunion is next week :eusa_naug.

But seriously, sometimes it is "that easy". You are very fortunate to have a family where everyone is taking it well. It will be great to have their support in the future. I'm happy for you ^(^_^)^

5. CosmicPunk

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It feels amazing to know that nothings changed. Its weird knowing that they all know now.

I'm very fortunate to have their acceptance and support.

After my brother walked in, I too was expecting someone else to come in to my impromptu coming out party.

6. Ianthe

Oh, congratulations! And welcome to Empty Closets!

I'm so glad it went so well. Don't forget to tell them how much it means to you, to be accepted so completely.

I'm sure your story will help others, too.

7. Dummy

Great story man... I'm happy for you. I wish it goes that well when it's time for me too...

8. Jim94

Congrats man! You have a great family!

9. Schabanak

Great family :slight_smile:. Support from family is a very important thing.
    :eusa_danc

10. Pain

Pain Guest

CONGRATS!!! Awesome reactions! :grin:

11. Rose

What a wonderful story. Thank you for sharing. For your family to accept you so quickly and without question must fill you with love. I am honoured to share your good news!

12. timo

Let me start by saying I love your writing style :grin: And congrats on coming out! Great to hear you have such an accepting family.

Threads like this make me realise I should tell my parents some day soon too.

13. prism

CONGRATULATIONS! Your family is so cool!

14. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha that's awesome, grats!

15. sugarcubeigloo

Great story! :lol: Amazing! Sounds like you have a wonderful family. :slight_smile:

16. karl178

Cute story, that brought a smile :slight_smile: Glad it went well.

17. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well.. that made it go faster I guess..

Congrats!!

18. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats :slight_smile: I do have to admit when I read it through and finished the part about your brother, I'll admit I literally facepalmed. But seriously man that's awesome :slight_smile:

19. cityofangels

cityofangels Guest

Congratulations!!! I'm glad everything went well. That's great =)