1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Year 2 on EC

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Artemicion, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Artemicion

So it's been another year since I first came out. So what I have I done since then?

Well to start off from last year's post...I'm pretty much out to all my friends, I've lost count. Fast forward a bit to new years eve, I came out to my siblings whom are both older (sister and brother). My sister took it surprisingly well, as for my brother, he always had a hunch (as he told me) as I've never had a girlfriend before and such. I should mention that I told them while they were away on a trip to Asia...via e-mail too.

A few months later, I decided to try online dating after much debate with myself. I think I was kind of successful I suppose. Went on a few dates, met new people and made some new friends too. I have to say, online dating has been an interesting experience, but half the time I'm wondering if it was rushing myself. So I took it easy as if looking for friends.

Eventually, I found myself in a strange long distance open relationship with a bi-guy. Not sure if it's the best idea (the long distance part anyways), but hey, I think I'd give it a try :icon_wink.

Going forward, summer hits, I did some volunteer work and one of them in particular was a queer film festival which I have to say, I enjoyed greatly watching the community come together to enjoy themselves. Plus, I also watched some of the films :icon_bigg.

So yep, this post is a lot shorter than last years as there wasn't exactly as much to say. One last thing is in regards to my parents...well they're a work in progress - both still in the limbo of denial. My Asian parents will just have to take some time I guess. But I don't think I should delay myself just because of them even when they are important to me. If it took me so long to get comfortable and come out, I suppose I should give them at least half the time I took? Maybe.

Link to last year's thread.

2. Lad123

Aww I had fun reading your coming out story for last year ago. I liked the bit about rushing home to watch sailor moon because funnily enough thats what I ended up doing too :lol:

I'm quite surprised that you told your parents first rather than your siblings. Like surely that would have been better? xD I understand the whole stigma of asian parents having a difficult time accepting gays. I really don't know if I have the courage to tell mine. x_x

3. Artemicion

Well, for the record, if I can remember correctly, I was in a state of depression back then and I simply had to get it off my chest otherwise I think I was going to burst of emotions. But yes, looking back, I think telling my siblings might have been a better choice or even other friends. But what's done is done, and I can only hope that I can come up with the courage again to bring the topic up with my parents.

Also, since I've came out to them, my dad who mostly lives in Asia majority of the time, he always, and I mean ALWAYS ask if I have a girlfriend yet. Which to me, I find it quite...annoying and borderline insulting, yet I would always have to find ways to say no whether in a creative way and such to not make it sound like a giant elephant in the room...

My mom on the other hand, I don't know. I think I'm doing too good of a job hiding things from her in regards to my dates and such =___=. SIGH. Next year I should just tell her I'm going to the pride parade (I missed it this year :S oh well).

---------- Post added 31st Aug 2012 at 07:16 PM ----------

Well, for the record, if I can remember correctly, I was in a state of depression back then and I simply had to get it off my chest otherwise I think I was going to burst of emotions. But yes, looking back, I think telling my siblings might have been a better choice or even other friends. But what's done is done, and I can only hope that I can come up with the courage again to bring the topic up with my parents.

Also, since I've came out to them, my dad who mostly lives in Asia majority of the time, he always, and I mean ALWAYS ask if I have a girlfriend yet. Which to me, I find it quite...annoying and borderline insulting, yet I would always have to find ways to say no whether in a creative way and such to not make it sound like a giant elephant in the room...

My mom on the other hand, I don't know. I think I'm doing too good of a job hiding things from her in regards to my dates and such =___=. SIGH. Next year I should just tell her I'm going to the pride parade (I missed it this year :S oh well).