1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just came out to my mum!!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Crisp, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Crisp

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    For a follow up to this thread: http://emptyclosets.com/forum/support-advice/68717-coming-out-before-college-waiting.html

I just told my mum that I'm gay :slight_smile:
    She was super supportive and was really happy that I told her. She was smiling the whole time, and didn't even cry!

She thinks that I shouldn't tell my brother until a bit after university has started, because it might complicate his life before he moves in.
    She also doesn't want me to jump into the whole LGBT community because she doesn't want me to make the choice, then change my mind later.
    I was sure I was gay, because I am only sexually attracted to guys.. so I'm not really sure if I should be openly gay, without telling my brother first - she thinks I should wait until Thanksgiving.
    Any thoughts?

Thanks to the whole forum for being so supportive of everyone because all of the replies really helped me get the courage to say it :slight_smile:

2. Romi

This is wonderful news! I'm so glad that it went well for you! That's exciting and very promising.

In a way I can understand why she wants you to wait to tell you brother. I had thew same sot of issue when I moved in with my aunt and uncle and finally came out to them. My younger cousin has his own thoughts about the lgbt community, especially trans people, so it didnt help when I brought over my lesbian, gay, and trans friends for a dinner. He's one of those slow-to-warm kind of people. And he really needed the chance to accept and deal with my being lgbt on his own. Once he got over that its been pretty smooth.So yeah...maybe it would be best to introduce your brother into it slowly if that's the case.

Still, I'm really happy to hear this. Just keep us updated on everything! :grin:

3. Crisp

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My Mum just told my Dad while they were out.
    He still supports me and said that nothing had changed, and that he loves me the same amount.
    I don't think I could have asked for a better coming out.
    They both think that I should be careful with coming out to people, in case I change my mind. I am definitely attracted to guys, but this makes me really unsure.. Has anyone else had this kind of feeling after they came out?

4. Mango

My mom was my anchor throughout all of my difficulties. She almost killed my brother because of me! No matter how anybody reacts now, it will be just fine, as long as you have your mom for solace...

Hooray for all of our supportive moms! :thumbsup:

Most dads are idiots from my experience. You should feel very lucky, if he proves to be supportive, as well!