1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to one of my best friends

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by LeCartographe, Sep 1, 2012.

1. So basically, I consider to have around 5-6 best friends, which means that out of everyone, they know me the best.

One of these people, who shall go unnamed, has been one of my best friends for six years now. He's Venezuelan (he has a cool accent), pretty good looking, fit, plays college level baseball, and the funniest person I've ever met in my life. To me, he's like a brother, so no feelings for him at all,never have been. He knows everything about me, and I know everything about him. In terms of our relationship, we're pretty close. I speak to him in Spanish to ask him about girls he likes and personal stuff, yada yada.

But stupidly, when I got into college (I'm a junior now), I made a mistake of saying that I 'liked' a girl or two, and that was because I tried to see if I was I bi or not (I'm gay), and was scared of what my friends (including this guy's) reaction would be. He's Catholic, seemingly homophobic, and never approached the subject in fear of him finding out and thinking that I have a crush on him or something, which I absolutely do not.

Long story short, my friend goes to Venezuela to visit family for a month during the summer, so I can only contact him via Facebook. Sitting in my room literally for 1-2 hours, I finally decide to ask him "There's something that's bothering me. I did something stupid and I want to know if you're proud of me and that you're always gonna be my friend?". "Yeah, of course. What's up dude? Did something happen?". With my heart racing at a million miles per hour, I built up enough courage to send him a long private message along the lines of "_____, I'm gay. I don't like you like that, and value you as a brother and our friendship. I still believe in God and needed to come to friends for support. I love you, bro. Can we still be friends in the future?" "Oh wow, man. How long have you known?" "For a long time, but I never acted upon it and just kept it hidden". Then he went along the lines of how he's not gonna be judgemental, not see me as a different person, and that I'm his bro, he wants me to be happy and he'll support me, and that he has my back always.

I never experienced so much human kindness.

I was in the hospital a month ago for surgery, and he was the ONLY friend of mine that visited me. His response "I had to visit you, bro. I couldn't imagine if something bad happened to you". In person when he visited me, I asked him "so....are okay with me being gay?" "No problem, man. I gotchu. You're still my friend!"

And recently he told me online that he wants to spend time with me when he comes home for fall break. I wish more friends were like mine. He's like my brother, and I'm glad that he still wishes to be a part of my life.

I feel like coming out to him was the best thing ever since I feel as if I'm not lying or being deceitful. And that I know now what his intentions are. One of the nicest people I've ever met, and I know that he loves me as a brother :slight_smile:. He accepts fully that I'm gay and I know he's very straight (he has a girlfriend now), and that our relationship won't change. In fact, I feel it's gotten stronger. We understand each other fully now, and that's better than what I expected.

For all of you haters out there who say a gay guy can't have straight male best friends, living proof.

Yet another successful coming out story. :eusa_clap

#1 LeCartographe, Sep 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2012
  2. Mango

Wow!!!

That is GREAT!!! :thumbsup:

However, don't be too optimistic about the rest of your friends....

That guy is one in a million! :eusa_clap

Nothing like that ever happened to me when I was young...

#3 Mango, Sep 1, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  3. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Congrats on going for it!!

Also, do give your friends a chance. Most of your friends like you because of you and not because you are straight! I think you will be pleasantly surprised by must people's reactions :slight_smile:

4. No I mean, those other people KNOW about it. It's just I found this one to be the better one out of all of them. All my friends took it well. :slight_smile:

5. Mango

Times must truly be changing, then! .......... Yeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! (!)

6. Well A. I live in a large city, so everyone has been exposed to homosexuality one time or another. and B. they all know I'm a really nice person, and wouldn't hurt any one of them, so why have a reason to dismiss me? I didn't do anything to them. It's not like I commited arson or robbed a bank or anything, haha.

7. Mango

Well unfortunately, that's exactly how I was made to feel practically all of my life. Harassment briefly slowed in junior high school, after I beat the slop outta some bully kid. It then picked up again in senior high school. I pretty much stayed to myself in college. However, the verbal insults and sarcasm continued on throughout college, and that includes a few of my professors, too! One high school teacher, always greeted me with a Miss or Misses, eventhough I was trying very hard to blend in with the guys at that point.
    One day, he deliberately dropped my test on the floor. I had the only 'A' paper...

#8 Mango, Sep 1, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  8. What's weird about it is that NO one suspected that I was gay in the first place, and that I would be more obvious. I don't fit any of the stereotypes at ALL and I was very quiet about who I liked and such. And none of my friends changed because quite frankly, I'm a guy just like them, minus the sexual orientation difference, so they know that my interests haven't change. I still do quote on quote "guy stuff" w/ them (go to movies, play video games, ask them about girls they like, etc.)

And I'm truly sorry that you had to deal w/ that. Why didn't you ever this professor or whatever? That's not right and I would report his *** in a minute. Did you ever make friends during that time who were supportive of you? I've only come out to my close friends because I need a system of support when times get tough, ya know? My homies? We run deep, hahaha. :lol:

9. darlig ulv

That's really special, keep him in a special part of your heart, make him your best man at your wedding, and never leave him behind, you are so lucky to have a friendship like that.

10. Haven't thought that far ahead yet, hahaha. But that might be a possibility. :slight_smile:
    Now HIS wedding...he has family in Venezuela, so where da **** will it be at?! Not sure, so I will eventually have to sit him down and ask this...and about being the best man and whatever.

Funny thing is that his middle name is "De Jesus" meaning of "OF Jesus" in Spanish. Coincidence, I think not.

But, to me personally, he's like a brother to me and I love him no matter what. Why would I ever ditch him? Do you know HOW boring my life would be? Yes, I am very lucky and I thank God for blessings like this. I've been friends with him for six years now. Trying to go for a world record here on longest friendship. So far so good. :icon_bigg