1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Family/Friends Before and After?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Faeyth, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Faeyth

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hello! How did your parents and/or friends behave before you came out? Were they homophobic? Discriminating against the LGBTQ community? Neutral?

What happened after? Did they become understanding? Or even supportive?

Please share your experience!

2. Music Beat

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    :lol:I have no experience yet..

3. speedboy3

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So far for me, everyones been really supportive and understanding about it. As far as the relationships I have with my friends and family I've come out to, nothings really changed besides being able to talk about hot guys with my friends who are girls of course.

4. Sayu

I don't think they changed. As for my friends, we never really talked about LGBT before my coming out and now we do sometimes.

My brother hasn't changed at all :grin: He was not homophobic before and he is not homophobic now.

5. xXPsychedelicXx

My ex was angry and confused at first, but now we're good friends again and he's very supportive. :grin:

6. Dummy

Well all of my friends that know about me (girls and boys) were not homophobic and still aren't. Ok maybe one guy is a little (only about gay guys) but I think that's beacause he's gay in denial... Anyway, their behaviour hasn't changed at all and if it has it is for the better :slight_smile:

7. Faeyth

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks for all the replies! You people seem to have such good friends/family.. I wonder if coming out turns out for the better most of the time. It would be awesome if it were true!

8. speedboy3

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I like to belive that thats true. I mean we hear all about how the gay kid was disowned by his parents or attacked for being gay because that makes for a better story than "man comes out everyone accepts him."

9. julia

I've only come out to my family and things are almost exactly the same as they were before, except my father doesn't make any remotely homophobic remarks anymore. My dad and my sister are really supportive but my mom never talks about my sexuality, she's really selfish so I didn't except anything else.

10. Gay Boi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don’t have any experience yet. I am not sure what to expect because my mom and my sister keep on making homophobic comments. It’s almost like they are trying to turn me straight:bang:

11. I've come out to 9 people (including one on Skype), best and good friends. All treat me the same, some actually even BETTER. Most liked that I respected them enough to confide w/ them this information. All said that I'd definitely be friends w/ them in the future and that they care about and will support me. Since I don't look, talk, or act like a stereotypical (whatever that is) gay person, NO ONE had an idea that I was gay at all. All very shocked. About 75-80% of my close/best friends are straight males (no attraction to them btw, all like brothers to me), and none of them think I'm going to come onto them (aka not homophobic at all, and we spend brotherly bonding time together when we can. :slight_smile:)

I have the most awesome friends EVER! :slight_smile: I love them all. Couldn't have asked God for better people.

12. AintThatAmerica

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    if my mom ever finds out, she would flip out, and do what ever it takes to make me straight, (even tho being bi is completly natural) I feel i am going down a dark path, which is why i drownd that out with the blaring of pink floyd, and the sound of breaking blocks and killing creepers in Minecraft

:***: It Catholism is stupid for that exact reason, im catholic, and my mom is a homophobic catholic, like all good catholics are :bang::dry:

My grandma is perfactly fine with it, and so are some of my friends

So; i have come out to a few of my friends, and my mother's mom, who isnt catholic... I feel happier with my grandma for that exact reason/ She was neutral on the whole subject for a good while, now she is quite supportive, giving me good informaition on guys i like, whether or not i should be getting mixed up with some of them

#12 AintThatAmerica, Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  13. SheWhoHasNoName

I told a bunch of my friends last year. Now this one girl keeps getting touchy feeling with me. She asks me things like, "Am I hot to you?" and "Do you think my bra is cute?" And then she actually shows me her bra. Awkward... Not only that, she makes awkward sexual lesbian jokes too.

14. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Was mostly ok, some good, some bad. Everything returned to normal after a few weeks. It's just one of those things where everything is about it until the next thing comes along, then it's just forgotten. Of course very homophobic persons will take longer to get over it, but I have yet to come across one that homophobic.

All the best.

15. SheWhoHasNoName

When I told my brother we were playing Halo on his Xbox. The following conversation occurred:

Me: Do you think mom got over you not being a Christian?
    Bro: I think she's in denial. Why?
    Me: Because I have a secret she wouldn't like and I'm keeping it from her.
    Bro: Tell me.
    Me: I'm a lesbian.
    Bro: Oh. Ok. Wait, is this a prank?
    Me: Why would you think this is a prank?
    Bro: Because it's the type of thing people say for pranks.
    Me: Oh. Well, it's not a prank. I like girls.
    Bro: Does this mean we can talk about hot girls together?
    Me: Duh

*I proceed to show him Jessica Gomes*

16. J Snow

No out as trans, just as gay. We don't talk about it since the first night. Here are some of the things my mother said.

"This is worse than my dad dying."
    "How could you do this to me?"
    "Don't let your sister's know."
    "Don't let anyone in your youth group know."
    "What did I do wrong?"
    "If I could I would give anything to go back in a time machine and fix whatever made this happen."

Bare in mind this was all with both me and mother just drenched in tears. As I said, we've never talked about this since. I won't even utter the word gay around them. Now I'm on HRT... Ever feel like you are getting a plane that you know is going to crash, and just wonder what the hell you are doing? That's how I feel.

17. CTJ

CTJ

My friend shouted at me for ruining his favourite phrase "thats gay", because now he isnt allowed to say it anymore (i never told him he couldnt, he just decided not to). There was abit of weirdness at first, but now its exactly the same as before. He does have a new nickname for me, 'Fagarella', if it was anyone other than him that called me it i would be offended.

18. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    For the most part no change whatsoever, that includes some family members, co-workers, friends and their spouses. Mind you I've been selective who I tell at this point.