1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out to my parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by bdman, Sep 3, 2012.

1. bdman

I never thought I would be posting in this area, but I've done it. I am actually out to my parents...I still can't believe it.

My parents are from the born again Evangelical type of Christianity. All I've heard all my life were anti-gay remarks. And now they know they have a gay son.

It actually went better than I could have possibly hoped for. I have been distancing myself from them for more than a year. They had no idea what was going on with me and were very worried. I was, in a way trying to protect them from having to deal with the conflict of loving their son and following their born again Religion. I was also preparing myself for estrangement. So I have not seen my mom (that was not part of some major family gathering) in awhile. She had been asking me for months to spend some time with her. So I went to visit for lunch and things turned political right away. We had a big fight, then somehow the subject of gay rights came up, she asked me if I was gay and I said yes without thinking. She actually was supportive telling me she loved me. I think she will still have a hard time with what that means, but she did not attack me with the Bible, which is what I was expecting.

We waited for my father to come home from work and I let her tell him and then we watched "For the Bible Tells me so" DVD that discusses the subject. My dad gave me a hug and told me I was still his son. I still can't believe this happened, it was totally by accident.

I still have 2 brothers and a sister left to tell, but will wait until after my brothers wedding. I am so relieved right now, it is like a huge weight has been lifted of my shoulders.

I don't use the dancing banana very often but this deserves a few.
    (!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)

2. julia

That's so wonderful! So glad your parent's took it so well. Good luck on telling your siblings :slight_smile:

3. Music Beat

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I agree with Julia, congrats.

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's awesome!! I'm glad that your parents reacted well!

5. jimL

You are one lucky guy. Congratulations. Hope it goes well with your siblings.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, that's incredible! I know you had said earlier you couldn't imagine ever doing that so you've clearly come a long way, and obviously the time was just... right. Congratuations!

7. lazyboy

lazyboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is incredible news! How are you feeling? You sound like you could be in shock.

8. Ianthe

Wow, congratulations!

I strongly recommend this video to share with your parents:
    [YOUTUBE]ezQjNJUSraY[/YOUTUBE]

9. LionheartX29

Wow, that's so sweet! Congrats!! (*hug*)

10. bdman

thanks everyone, I still am in shock. I know my parents are going to be processing what supporting me means, and that's going to make my dad very uncomfortable. But their reactions was far better than I ever thought possible. It's going to be a long road ahead, but it looks like I will get some support.

Thanks Ianthe for the video link, I will keep that video link bookmarked on youtube to show them.

I think coming out to my parents was the hardest part of this process since there was so much to lose. I think coming out to others will become easier as time goes on.

thanks again

11. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congratulations, man!! :eusa_clap I'm really proud of you and so happy it went well! You're amazing and strong and should be proud of your courage. That's really great they watched the movie with you. Maybe they'd watch "Prayers for Bobby" and could work up to going to a PFLAG meeting maybe. There might be other Evangelical parents there, just like Mary Griffith once was and might be good to talk to other parents as they work through the stages of accepting this news. As you know, I always recommend the Mel White video too. Good luck coming out to your siblings and anyone else you've been thinking of. Keep us updated and take care! (*hug*)

12. Mango

I am happy for you too, Tennbad! (!)