1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ive begun...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by liveletlov, Sep 5, 2012.

1. liveletlov

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi everyone, after reading many threads and many coming out letters i just finished writing mine to my mom. she will be the first person i tell. do you guys think i should take a few more days a read it over? i am a so nervous. this is the biggest step ever.

2. Ianthe

Hi, welcome to Empty Closets!

If you want, you can post a draft here and we'll look at it for you. Just make sure not to include anyone's real full name.

3. Mango

I think that coming out for adolescents and most young adults, is very dependent upon their circumstances. Some members of our youth assume that their parents will love them unconditionally, but they're unpleasantly surprised when it turns out that they don't.

Many people (parents included) think that being gay or lesbian is a choice. They'll say things like, "Yes, that's right, you'll find your bags packed outside the door. Now get out, and stay out, until you've changed your mind about all of that gay nonsense!"..."In this house, we serve the lord, not Satan!"..."Now go!"..

Many homeless youth are members of the LGBT community. Some were shocked by the new treatment they received at home, after coming out.

OTOH, some parents do love their children unconditionally and they find it quite strange that a parent would treat any offspring with such ignorant and abhorrent behavior. Much rejection of LGBT children, on the part of ignorant parents, is faith based.

Atheist and agnostic parents tend to reject LGBT offspring much less.

References:

http://gayteens.about.com/od/family_rejection.htm

Religion-Based Bigotry | Faith in America

PS.

Coming out for me happened when I was born. I had no choice. I simply came out of my mother's womb, and there I was. Just as feminine as the daintiest little girl that a mother could ever have, with a penis...
    My mother accepted me, and she was a Jehovah's Witness!..Go figure!..It could happen with you too!

#3 Mango, Sep 5, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  4. jimL

With something this important, always at least sit on it overnight. You want it perfect.

5. liveletlov

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for the responses everyone. I wrote my coming out letter in spanish since my mom would understand it better that way. As far as being kicked out of my house, i dont think that will be an issue. I just think that its gonna be hard on her since my older sister is also lesbian. was anybody else in this situation?

6. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Congratulations on coming out, dear! I'm really happy that you've started the process of coming out.

Might be kinda tough at first. But it's such a positive step in the right direction. After coming out, I had a support network, and I just relished the freedom of being able to be me. Likewise, that'll make coming out so worth it for you :slight_smile:

7. Ianthe

If she has accepted your sister, I'm sure she'll accept you, too. It may even be easier the second time around.

HOWEVER: Why aren't you out to your sister?!

8. liveletlov

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I guess i havent come out to her because i always believed that being homosexual was wrong and a sin. It was something that i was never gonna tell to anyone including my sister. But ive gained a lot of knowledge about religion and homosexuality. I know now that who i am and who she is, is ok. God still loves us!
    As for my mom, she's come around the last two yrs or so but it was really hard for her when my sis came out. She doesnt believe that gay people are born that way. So im not sure how shes gonna respond to me.

9. DoriaN

Bet she might think she has a gay gene and realizes people ARE born that way :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: