1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to a friend :)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Lad123, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Lad123

Yesterday me and a friend went to visit my cousin and her husband who live about a 45 minute drive away. My cousin has a 5 month-old baby and is pretty stressed and tired with looking after it so we thought a visit would cheer her up.

I had planned to come out to my friend during the journey and then my cousin later when we got there. As you can imagine I was really nervous about telling my friend, not because she is homophobic or anything, it was just the feeling of not knowing how she would react.

About half-way through the road-trip I was panicking because I had to tell her before arriving at my cousin's house. My heart was beating really fast and I was struggling to say the dreaded words. Fortunately, moments later she broached the topic herself. The conversation went like this:

Her: "Have you met a girl yet?"
    Me: "Nope :slight_smile:"
    Her "Are you gay?" (in a joking manner)

In my mind I kinda froze for a few seconds and thought 'perfect! now is my chance'.

Me: "Yeah I am actually"
    (she laughed and thought I was joking)
    Her: "And I'm a lesbian" (jokingly) :dry:

I was gutted she didn't take it seriously so I had to come out again.

Me: "You know, I am gay though"
    Her: "Are you serious?
    Me: "Yes"
    Her: "Wow, I can't tell if you're joking or not"
    Me: "I'm gay"
    Her: "That doesn't change anything. You're still [name] and I love you no matter what"

She asked me the usual questions like how long have I known etc.

I'm so happy it went well! I didn't expect her to be so positive about it and it didn't even phase her one bit :icon_bigg

However at my cousin's I couldn't come out. I was petrified. She noticed I was being weird and even asked me why I was clock-watching all the time. I was looking at my watch frequently because she said her husband comes home from work in 2.5 hours. I had so much time to tell her but I just couldn't do it :eusa_doh:

Thanks for reading

2. Bi As A Kite

Massive, massive props for coming out to at least one person. That's one down :slight_smile:

3. HelmetBoi

Brilliant! That's actually pretty much how I very first told anyone I was gay. A friend I hadn't seen for years asked me if I had a girlfriend and it was the same thing - I'm actually gay. Didn't bother him one bit and it was actually a great feeling having told someone!

Really glad it went well for you! (*hug*)

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's fantastic that you came out to your friend and that it went so well. :slight_smile:

With time, you will also be able to come out to your cousin. The good news is that you are thinking about it and wanted to go for it. Trying is already something to be proud of.