1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unexpected Coming Out Because Of Courageous Teammate

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by TheKidWhoRuns, Sep 14, 2012.

1. TheKidWhoRuns

In attending college on of my personal social goals was to finally admit to myself (and others) that I am not straight. I was not planning on telling anyone for awhile because I have not quite come to terms with it yet however, that very unexpectedly changed today. After a hard XC workout our team was chilling in the locker room when one of the guys was randomly talking (lets call him Chris) and he brought up the subject of why he dosent think that it is offensive to call someone "faggy" or to tell someone that something they are doing or saying is really gay. Well one of my best friends on the team (lets call him Ryan) got really angry and told Chris that it was offensive and it was people like him that kept gay people hiding and ashamed. Chris then asked Ryan "what are you gay or something?". Ryan then replied "yeah" and while a few people laughed the whole locker room in general had the most awkward atmosphere ever. Fast forward to after dinner and I went to talk to Ryan. I asked him if he was actually serious because from the sounds of things people took it as if it were a really bad joke. He replied he wasn't kidding and I told him out of the blue "Well I really thought I was the only one on the team that was gay." After staring at me in complete disbelief for about 1 minute he said that first off he was really surprised and wouldn't have guessed that about me and secondly went on to inform me that no fewer than 5 of our 30 XC runners are gay! That was a huge shock to me. Not only is one of my best friends gay (just to note he's also incredibly good looking, the girls team nicknamed him Ryan Lochte) but so is 1/6 of the XC team. I am more than pleasently surprised and I never thought that coming out would be so easy and that there would actually be many people in the same boat as me. Moral of story: Do not assume things...you only know once you actually stick yourself out there how things really are. Also, if you are in a sport do not be afraid. I can't speak for other teams but my team treats everyone equally and with great support (except Chris when he's randomly talking) and I never knew that was possible! Being gay and being a great athlete are not mutally exclusive (I now finally fully realize that). Best wishes to everyone regardless of where they are on their journey. It appears as mine has just begun:icon_bigg!!!

2. Suffocation

:grin: Congrats!
    But seriously... can I get some pictures?

(!)

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey, that's really cool! I am actually not surprised though. Running seems like a safer set of sports to be queer in (compared to, say, American football).

I am glad that your teammate had the courage to come out in a hostile environment, and it demonstrates precisely the importance of coming out, in that it makes others feel safe to do so. It deepens connections for the whole community, and humanizes us all.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dunno what it is, but Cross Country seems to attract gay guys, more so than just about any other team sport. Of the dozen or so guys I know in their late teens or early 20s, 2/3 of them ran XC in high school. None of them were out.

In any case, props to your friend for owning it and coming out, and more props to you for coming out to him :slight_smile:

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it's probably because running develops many of the physical qualities that gay and bisexual men appreciate in one another (sorry strength trainers), and on top of it, runners get killer highs. :slight_smile:

6. TheKidWhoRuns

Thanks for the support everybody.
    Chip and Pret Alez- I guess I run because I have always really been really into sports but was really uncoordaintaed and not strong enough to do other sports and I also happen to be really freaking good at running (I don't ever know how that happened)...plus it gave me washboard abs and a sense of self-confidence which is nice.
    Suffocation- Yeah I can't really post pics without him knowing but he does traithlons and has a swimmer's body and has a face and haircut just like Ryan Lochte. I will just say his nickname fits him well...

7. suninthesky

That's awesome about your team. Mine I can't say the same for, but who knows?

Just popped in to say that we should be friends and talk XC stuff sometime. =]

8. Ianthe

Is he single? Are you gonna go for it? You seem to be into him...

9. TheKidWhoRuns

Ianthe- Yes I think I will try to go for it. I was really crushing on him before I knew and now that I know he actually is gay (and have the green light because he is somehow single) I will give it a shot.

10. Quartz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's funny that people here seem to think that gay guys are more often cross country runners, because that's me! I don't run for my school's varsity team (it's a D-1 school, so you have to be crazy fast to even have a chance) but I did in high school, and I've picked up marathoning, ultramarathoning and other endurance sports like triathlons and Nordic skiing.

Anyway, congrats on that! I'm glad you found some friends that are gay as well!