1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My partial coming out.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by AlmostOut32, Sep 15, 2012.

1. AlmostOut32

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've always been attracted to guys since I was younger I had always liked guys in my classes during elementary, middle, and now even high school. I never picked up on it until 6th grade and I thought I was bi but quickly identified to myself as gay. I haven't had a problem with that until now but that's another story. I live under the bible belt and that has shown to be a problem. In 9th grade a new kid came out as gay and my school echoed words of disgust towards him, although it eventually quieted down I would always hear my friends talking about him during lunch or in other class periods about how they wanted to beat the shit out of him. It was painful for me to listen to this especially since it was the same way my father would talk about gay people. Once I was watching a movie with my dad and there was a part in the movie where a gay character was killed. My dad laughed, he looked at me and said "That's how all fags should go!" I don't think I'll ever forget that moment. Last winter I came out to my aunt who is also LGBT so was accepting, I then told her girlfriend. Later on that year I told my sister and my mom and just recently I came out to a good friend of mine. They were all accepting. My coming out so far has been good but I believe it's only downhill now. While I've decided it's best to not come out in high school for my own safety I have to eventually tell my families. My dads side is extremely homophobic and so is my moms. I fear that whenever I come out I will be excommunicated from my external family and feel that the only way I can live a happy life is by moving away because of an also very homophobic community.

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! First off, congratulations on your coming out journey thus far! You have every reason to be proud of your accomplishments. I'm happy to read that one part of your family as well as your friend are there for you and supporting you. :slight_smile:

The support you have from your mom, sister and aunt is going to be important when you approach your dad, or a ready to come out to him. Don't let your knowledge of your dad's views and his potential reaction affect how you see the rest of your coming out experience. Even though your dad might not be accepting/supportive, and might take a while to come around to it, you will still encounter supportive and accepting people that will make your coming out worthwhile.

(*hug*)

3. Quartz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You might want to look at the relationship between your dad and your aunt. If he is at least on speaking terms with her then there may be hope for you...you're his son, so maybe he'll make a bit more effort to keep you in his life. Maybe you could just try to make him understand that while he doesn't have to like it, he should love his son no matter what, and accept him for who he is.