1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wasted a Chance to Come Out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Aielar, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Aielar

I was at school today and my classmates (who range from 18 to 29) and I were heading back to the classroom after lunch. Then one of them suddenly asked the group if any of us liked girls, and since it happened so fast I didn't exactly get a chance to say anything before we went inside. It doesn't help that I'm reserved/quiet in social situations when I don't know the people that well - and I've only known these people for about two weeks now.

I'm just frustrated to get an opening that awesome and to miss the chance to be open about myself lol. I want to tell them, but I was waiting for someone to ask me directly before saying I swing both ways. There probably will be future times when I can tell them, since they're always watching boys and will probably try to set me up with someone eventually XD Anyways, just wanted to write something here to vent a little I guess :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2. Clown

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll find another chance eventually. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Toxic Event

Out Status:
    A few people
    Was this a sarcastic question? While it's probably better the earlier you meet someone, perhaps trying to capitalize on such a situation wouldn't have been a good move, anyways. Maybe that's just me, but if it was sarcastic I kind of get offended by that. I mean... not offended like in a really bad way, but I'm just saying I'd rather save it for a more serious statement.

Don't worry, you'll have your chance!

4. Fisnou

I know the feeling - I've missed a couple of good coming-out opportunities. A few weeks ago I was hanging out with 3 people, one of which is a lesbian. I don't think she knows I'm gay, or if she knows, she's not showing it (the other 2 people do know). She mentioned this gay movie (The kids are alright) and then later on another one (I can't think straight), both of which I've seen, and I wanted to say "I've seen that" to hint that I'm gay but I couldn't do it :frowning2: Two great opportunities right there that I missed!

But you shouldn't worry about it, there'll be plenty more opportunities I'm sure. If not you could say "remember when this person asked if anyone liked girls? Well, I do" or something like that.

5. Aielar

I don't think it was sarcastic, but I have problems understanding sarcasm/rhetorical questions so it very well could have been.

@ Fisnou : It's good to know I'm not the only who's missed a chance, and I may use that line (Remember when so and so asked if anyone liked girls? Well I do :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ) in the future.

Thanks for the advice everyone, much appreciated!

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! As it was said above, you will have other chances to come out.

If you want, you could create opportunities where you can come out. Maybe talk to one or two of your classmates in the group first, by taking them aside and telling them about yourself, and take it from there.

7. Aielar

That's a good idea Mirko, but initiating the conversation myself is outside of my comfort zone and I'm not quite ready for that step yet. But thank you for taking the time to read and respond :slight_smile:

8. EmeryVaughn

Out Status:
    A few people
    This has actually happened to me before...

9. Aielar

You mean you missed a chance to come out to people?

10. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You should check out this thread that I started a while back. I posted about missed chances to come out, and many people have shared theirs as well. You might like to read about some of our experiences :icon_bigg

11. Messed Up

Messed Up Guest

I don’t think there is a “wasted" or “unwasted" chance to reveal who you truly are- there is “ready" and then there is "not ready"- but it’s when you feel in your heart of hearts that it is time to reveal what you feel you must :slight_smile:

YOU, and ONLY you, can decide when that time has come- if you felt you didn’t respond fast enough, so be it. Another sun shall rise and on that day is when you will be quick as a whip. The time will come when it does. Do not fret :slight_smile:

12. Caudex

Caudex Guest

I know that feel(ing). (*hug*)