1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobic sister update - promising!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by ccdd, Jan 29, 2008.

1. ccdd

ccdd Guest

OK, so a very encouraging update on my previous thread when I half came out to my homophobic sister, which you can find here:

http://www.emptyclosets.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6209

I was on the phone to her, and she brought up the night we had been talking, and she said that Steve, her boyfriend, had really enjoyed that conversation and had told her off saying that she had stopped me talking by reacting really badly and that she shouldn't have stopped me talking like that, and that I would have been more open if I hadn't been scared of her reaction.

This was quite a light-hearted conversation with my sister, which she brought up, (and rather amusing, as many of the homophobic remarks came from her boyfriend!), and although she didn't actually apologise, or say *anything* about what *she* thought about the conversation, only what he did, does this sound like an apology to you? Or I mean like some sort of acceptance? She had mentioned the conversation on a previous occasion when she said then too that her boyfriend had liked it cos it was like I trusted them. I think that this conversation with my sister shows that

a) they suspect that I was indeed trying to come out, even though in the end I retracted it all and finished the conversation as completely "straight"; and
    b) she is sort of trying to tell me it's ok? Although she has *never* expressed her opinion on it at all - she just says that her boyfriend enjoyed the conversation

But REALLY good anyhow - no one is denying that the conversation took place, and she is still talking to me, in spite of the homophobic comments I have heard from them, and had directed towards me.

My other great news is that I came out to another friend today who was really, really supportive and who told me about some people I know who are gay which I didn't even know (it's sad really, that I should be gay and have friends who are gay whilst no one says anything...) Plus, she was talking about taking me to some of the gay bars she knows....

:slight_smile:

2. Psychedelic Bookmarks

oh good! i really hope the situation with your sister turns out well. it sounds like she's slowly starting to think about it, and that's the first step to acceptance. :slight_smile: maybe u have an ally in her boyfriend, too? sometimes people make homophobic remarks because they're shocked... she may regret them now.

and well done about your other friend! (*hug*) hopefully those other people can be a help to you :grin:

3. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow that's good, I'm glad things are looking up! :slight_smile:

4. Astaroth

Awww, I'm glad for you, sweetie! I think your sister may have thought long and hard about what happened during that last conversation and may realize now what it was really about all along. The fact that she and her boyfriend are "happy" about the conversation makes me think that they're trying to show you support without saying "Come out already!" :lol: But congrats on the other coming out too! The more allies you have, the easier it gets. (*hug*)

5. shaun

I think she just wants to be your sister, and her husband helped her to realize that she was hindering your relationship with her reaction. Glad to see she's making an effort atleast.

#5 shaun, Feb 13, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2008