1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I do it?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Andy21, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Andy21

I really want to come out to my friends and classmates at college but I don't know how to do it, or approach the subject.

To be honest it's pure jealousy that's making me want to come out so badly right now. There's another boy there and he's totally out and very comfortable with it. I look at him and want to be in his position, but I just can't get the words out.

I've thought about telling him first, getting his advice may be easier but it's still really hard. It doesn't help that I'm not a very sociable person and haven't got a 'best friend' to rely on, but I just know everything will be different if I just tell them.

But how? :help:

2. Alexander

Just throw hints, and when someone asks, tell them the truth.

3. Andy21

How do I drop hints when I'm as subtle as a brick? :frowning2:

4. Grof142007

wear a rainbow belt =) wouldnt have to say anything =)

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hi Andy,
    Practice first on your gay friend. You will gain an alli and it will help you come out to your other friends. You can do this. :slight_smile:

6. ampthejazz

Man, I know how hard it is, but you've gotta just say it. If you have a really close friend who you know will not care, tell him or her. It's going to be difficult, and the words won't come out at first, and your heart will be racing, but eventually, you just have to say it. Practice it alone. Each time you tell someone, the next is easier.

Good luck man. :slight_smile:

7. CrimsonThunder

I like Grofs advice! Wear a pride braclelet (the one that is rainbow colored and made of rubber) and when someone asks just say "I"m proud to be gay!" A good idea would be to talk to the gay dude, hell might become best friends with him.

8. Luroon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you can't find the nerve to just up and tell anyone, start with people you are really close with, such as a best friend or siblings. You get used to being out to them, being out to everyone else is easy.

9. Hollywood

I suggest you talk to everyone you are close to and wouldn't want to find out from anyone but you personally. Then after all that, put it on Facebook. It really has redefined the coming out process.

10. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan Guest

Maybe make your own rainbow bracelet out of beads or something, just to make it more personal. :slight_smile: I think that wearing your sexuality on your sleeve (or your waist, in the case of a belt/your wrist, in case of a bracelet) is the easiest, most subtle route to take. Go for it. :thumbsup:

11. ccdd

ccdd Guest

If you really feel ready to come out (and there is a chance that not knowing how to come out is you not being ready, even though you are jealous of the guy who is), then you just have to kind of do it.

Although, that said, I have virtually always come out via email, which is kinda cowardly...although I came out in person the other day, which was, in retrospect, *hilarious*. I never actually said, for more than an hour, the words gay, lesbian or whatever - I just kept making hints, and more hints, and then asking "how good are you at getting hints?" and then making more obscure hints and random sounds... (my friend, who was supportive, and who was kinda guessing but didn't want to say in case they were wrong, ended up laughing with me at my kind of circuitous way of coming out...).

Yeah, so, not perfect, and I could have saved myself like, an hour, by just saying "I'm gay", but then, I didn't know how to say it - so it is possible, even if you don't know how to say the words! And if the person you come out to is supportive, it doesn't really matter how you come out, I don't think. Good luck!!

12. Norwegian91

You dont have to tell them all yourself. The word spread fast. The first one i told was actually on msn, after that i told more pepole and the word just spread. The only one who doesnt know anything is my parents:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: