1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out to Mom.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Lane, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Lane

Well it did not happen at all as expected, and it was far sooner than expected. But my mother now knows I am Gay.

Mom stopped by the house last night to ask me some questions about some stuff that has been happening, and I could tell she was trying to pry a bit. Like she already knew. So I just decided to tell her.

After much weeping and gnashing of teeth, she said she will always love me because I am her son. But, she does not condone or support my 'choice', and considers it a lifestyle of perversion and immorality. She told me to search my soul and pray to god that he might deliver me from my sinful ways (she is very religious by the way) or something like that. By this point I was tip-toeing through the tulips in my head trying to ignore her obvious disdain for my lifestyle, and rather poignant bible thumping. At one point she even referred to it as a disease.

I had already figured out before all this that she would not support my orientation, and that her narrow minded view on the subject would cause a bigger rift between us than had already occurred in previous arguments.

Despite all of that we both agreed that my Father should not know yet, it would be better to wait a little while. He will more than likely be far worse, and may even disown me in some way. But at this point I am prepared to leave my family behind completely once I make my move to Arizona in a few months.

Maybe somewhere down the road they will both have a change in heart, then again maybe not. Time will be the judge of that I guess.

2. Nicvcer

Nicvcer Guest

1 to go! Sorry they aren't very understanding but I feel that makes life interesting. Life wouldn't be fun if everything went the way you wanted it to.

3. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *huggles*

I guess it could have been worse. At least now you have that burden off of your back...

Congratulations.

4. Hollywood

being out to her does have to feel like an immeanse load is off your shoulders, though :slight_smile:

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
  6. Psychedelic Bookmarks

*hugs* i'm sorry. does she know that you are simply gay, or does she have the stereotypical belief that all gay people are promiscuous semi-prostitutes with drug habits etc? because sometimes all those stereotypes can muddy the waters.

anyway, well done for telling her. i hope your move to arizona will help things.

7. Lane

I don't think she will read the brochures, but I will print some out and see what happens.

I am glad the initial conversation is over with. And yes i am a little relieved that she knows, but also unhappy that she chooses to view me in that light. But like i said, I didn't really expect anything less from her.

8. Temujin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Way to go on telling your mom. I can relate almost word for word. I'm torn between cutting them off or trying to help them understand. I'm an "either/or" person. You can't have your cake and eat it too which is where they currently are. Basically, they want me to be in the closet around them. I told them that wouldn't be possible. On the other hand, I feel that I owe it to them to try and help them understand, to help them grow. I will do what I can but i'm being realistic in that while you can lead a horse to water, you can't make it drink. I'm not yielding this time so eventually they will get thirsty. :icon_bigg

9. Astaroth

Oooh. Sorry to hear that your mother took it the way she did! But at least half the battle's over, parent-wise. As Zeraphath pointed out in several threads recently, you might want to show her this website. It has a very detailed letter about alternative views on homosexuality and Christianity that might sway things in your favor. It certainly can't hurt!

10. sdc91

Hey Lane, congrats! I know she isn't taking it in the best way possible, but you can't expect her to be fully okay with it for a bit. It probably took you time, too. I think she'll turn around in the future. Good luck with your dad when you do it. =X

11. Level N Human

Good on you for coming out, congrats. You're very brave to have come out to a religious mother. It's good though, that despite her beliefs she made it known that she will love you no matter what, and she seems very respectful of you for the position she has on homosexuality - agreeing that your father should be delayed in knowing if that is what you wish. :slight_smile: Good luck with how everything goes in the future. You've got my support from afar. :grin:

12. biisme

congratualtions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!