1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i don't know how the hell i let it happen, but i'm out to my mom

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by PenAndInk, Jan 30, 2008.

1. PenAndInk

So, I'm talking with my mom about one of my best friends, she knows he's gay. He's been having a rough time, plus he's got another straight crush. We're talking about how it's hard being a teen let alone a gay teen (oh the irony). I'm saying how it's hard to for gay kids to avoid having straight crushes since most people are straight. She's saying how she doesn't think you can know you're gay so early in life (as in high-school or lower). I tell her that many people begin to notice and even accept if they are gay during their teenage years. She asks if I know. I say yes, I have it all sorted out, and I was just going to drop the subject, but she keeps on going.

Her: So are you part of the majority?
    Me: ...
    In my house silence is consent, and the silence was deafening.
    Her: Are you gay?
    Me: *sigh*...Yes.
    Her: I don't think you can know at your age, considering you haven't really been dating.
    Me: I know a lot of people who knew without dating first.
    Her: I will love you know matter what, but it's a hard lifestyle (like I could/would change it! :bang: ) I just don't think you can be sure yet.
    Me: *silence* (inner thoughts: :tantrum: )

So we keep talking, I refused to change what I said to being "unsure" because I'm pretty damn sure I'm gay. I may be the tiniest bit bisexual, but I am head-over-heels for girls!
    I had to retell her like three times that it has nothing to do with her and my dad being kind of strained lately (I don't think that a lesbian relationship is going to come with any less problems than a "normal" relationship).

I'm glad that she didn't freak out, and said that she'll love me no matter what, but it makes me kind of sad that she doesn't think I'm old enough to understand myself (considering how she's always saying I'm incredibly mature) Surprisingly this is the least anxious and upset I've been coming out to anyone even though I really hadn't been planning on telling her in the near future. I was a little freaked out at first, but I can't undo what I said. I guess I just don't care that she doesn't take me seriously at the moment. I just wish she would have taken me at my word. So right now she thinks I'm just "confused", and is probably hoping it's just a phase. Hey, what ever helps her sleep at night, right? Denial is better than fury. I can't take it back, and I won't take it back, hopefully she'll come around and just be okay with me being me. At least I still have a place to sleep :icon_wink

2. biisme

well, it is good to have a place to sleep. i'm sorry that you're mom doubts your knowledge of your sexuality, but hopefully she will realize that you are sure with time.

anyway, congrats!

3. TriBi

Well - you certainly got that one right!

Congrats on coming out to her - and just give her time. From what you said of her comment it sounds as if she is concerned for YOU undertaking a life that is not likely to be as easy is it would be if you were straight.

I think the signs are all good and that she'll come around. Becky might be able to help you with some useful PFLAG stuff too - just to make her fully aware that sexuality isn't a "choice".

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
  5. PenAndInk

thanks so much! i'm kind of going to let her alone about it for a while and let her think about things. but, it'd be great to have some PFLAG stuff around in case the time comes when i feel like it's a good time to talk with her again.

6. Sam

Sam

yes you gotta love denial! she'll come around but like you said you are going to leave her alone for a while which I think is good, gives her time to digest what she has found out. congrats at coming out to her though!

7. divadarya

Whether you know it or not, it sounds like it went pretty well! Your mom may go through some other stages including anger and depression about it, but it sounds like you two have a solid loving relationship.
    Well done...
    xo Darya

8. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The absolute truth. Though you didn't get the rare and wonderful "I was hoping you were!" or "So am I!", you also didn't get the "Leave my house!" or "You're a liar, don't bring this up again". You don't have to push it in her face every day, but help her understand your situation better - don't come out and then let it fade away.

9. Astaroth

Well, first of all, congrats! Parents are a HUGE step to take. It was brave of you to talk to her when she confronted you about it. That happened when I was your age and I couldn't summon the courage to say yes, so kudos to you! You should do what I'm doing about now since I recently came out to my parents too. Sometime this week or the next, make sure to sit down with your mom again and just say "If you ever want to talk about my sexuality or if you have any questions, PLEASE let me know." I ended up getting a lot out of my parents that way so far that didn't come out the first night. Even though she might not choose this life for you, it doesn't matter because it's never a choice anyway. All you can do is educate them. Try pamphlets. Brochures. Websites. Anything that can bolster your case will only prove to her that you're serious about this and that it's not a phase that's just going to fade away. Tell her about other friends who're gay (us, of course) that range in age from 13 to 113. Just because you're fairly young still doesn't mean you have no mind and are confused about this. And if you gently nudge her from time to time, she'll get to the same conclusion eventually.

10. ccdd

ccdd Guest

Congratulations!! :slight_smile: Even though you hadn't intended to come out, I think it's really good that you did, because now it's done, and, as you say, denial is better than fury!! It sounds as though she had actually been wondering herself, or had suspicions, the way that she brought it up like that. But I think that, even though she seems to think you're comfused or that it's a phase, there has to be a time when she realises it's not. The way I see it, for me, it has taken me years to come to terms with my sexuality - I've been in unconscious denial, conscious denial, and now tentative recognition (not yet acceptance) - therefore, when I come out to my parents or other people close to me, I am willing to give them a little bit of leeway for a while, as long as they show a willingness to accept me anyway and to make an effort to understand. What I mean is, it sounds like your mum is ultimately supportive, but that her lack of knowledge of homosexuality and her lack of time thus far to come to terms with it means that she is in denial. I would, therefore, wait it out, but actively, such as by trying to educate her about homosexuality etc, and by never giving her reason to think you're confused. But I hope that once she has had a chance to process the information, she will come out of denial, and accept it's not a phase or confusion, and will become more educated on the topic. But I'm really glad that she is insistent that she still loves you :slight_smile:

11. Ilayis

Ilayis Guest

well congrats to you and to your mom for still loving you and not kicking you out to the curb

12. Zec24

First, congrats on coming out, I'm sure that wasn't easy. As someone mentioned before, denial is better than fury.

Funny thing is, when I came out to my parents last year they told me I was too young and inexperienced to know. Yes at 20, almost 21, I was too young to know. Parents just feel that they know best, and it's hard when their kids grow up and are able to know what's best for them. Your mom probably is wondering when you grew up enough for you to be telling her this.

I guess just give your mom some time and allow her to realize you do know yourself well enough to know your orientation. Maybe in a few days you'll be able to show her the Pflag material, I'm sure it will help. Good luck.

13. Hollywood

Well, look at the positive-at least you're out. And your mom just had the typical parent reaction. My mom's first words after I came out: "I don't know how you can know you're gay if you've never had sex."

Parents just try to deny it straight off. There's a Sticky thread somewhere with the parent stages of grief which is really helpful.

14. Luroon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This whole talk of being too young to know I think is a mechanism that parents use to help them deal with the initial shock. Eventually they think about it and realize that perhaps you can know as a teenager, and especially by the time you're old enough to drink. As that all goes, take things one day at a time and help your parents become acclimated to the reality of your sexuality.

15. donnie5

just wanted to stop by and say congrats parents are the hardest people to come out to good job:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: