1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going to try to come out to my brother

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Neo, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Neo

Neo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The last person in my immediate family that I have yet to come out to is my brother, who is 9 years older than me, but with whom I have gotten a lot closer over the last few years. I have been out to my parents and sister for a few weeks now, and they have told (with my permission) some of our relatives and family friends, but I have just had a really hard time getting myself to talk about it with my brother. My parents have started pressuring me to tell him because they are afraid he will hear it from someone else, and they think he should hear it from me. While I know I shouldn't be rushed into coming out by anybody, I can't really think of a good reason not to come out to him other than I tend to automatically assume that the worst case scenario is going to happen.

My parents offered to invite us all over so that I could do it at their house, but I think it would be better to do it one-on-one, since I don't want to emphasize the fact that he is the last one to find out, and I don't want him to feel bad about that. So I think I am just going to see if he is free after work tomorrow, and if he is, pick up some beers and stop by his place and tell him.

Wish me luck and hopefully I don't chicken out.

2. AlexisAnne

I've always preferred the one on one approach myself, and I can understand not wanting to make him feel like the last to know.

Good luck! I hope it goes well.

Love your signature by the way. :slight_smile:

3. xXPsychedelicXx

Good luck! I also prefer the one-on-one approach. I hope everything works out! :grin:

4. everett

Good Luck!

5. Bradders

Bradders Guest

Best of luck to you, Neo,
    Hope everything goes well ^_^

6. Good luck!

Hope he's accepting!

7. Nemo39122

Good luck! Let us know how it goes...I'm sure it'll be fine :slight_smile:

8. HarleyQ

Good luck!!!

9. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here is some encouragement. From the sound of it, I'm sure it will go well. :slight_smile:

Let us know how it turns out.

10. Neo

Neo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I finally did it! My plans to tell my brother last night fell through, but I ended up having the perfect opportunity to do it tonight, and finally worked up the courage to tell him.

We were both at our parents house watching football, and right after the game ended it was just him and me in the room and I realized I only had a couple of seconds before the moment was going to slip away as he was getting ready to leave, and that it wasn't going to get any easier by waiting so I might as well do it. I told him that I had something to tell him, and that the rest of our family knew and that it was only right for him to know too, which is that I am gay. His response was 'Rock on, whatever makes you happy". :eusa_danc I was so relieved and it is a huge weight off my shoulders now to be out to everyone in my immediate family.

Now I just need to work on telling my roommates and my close friends from college. I have tentative plans to maybe tell some of them tomorrow, but we will see if I go through with it.

Thanks for the support everyone, I really appreciate it!

11. AlexisAnne

That's awesome! You have no idea how thrilled I am for you right now! Thanks for updating us. I was actually wondering how it went.