1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my AMAZING teen son!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by BBird75, Sep 26, 2012.

1. BBird75

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi,
    Just had to share this...

I came out to my son at the weekend, when we stopped for breakfast on the way to take him back to university. I had planned for some time to talk to him at this time, as, because I'm now out to my husband, and we're working out what to do about separating, the kids will need to know before too long, and it's not something I wanted to do by phone during term-time.

So, trembling violently, and trying not to cry, I sat next to my beautiful, clever boy in a cafe on Sunday morning, and told him that things are going badly with my relationship with my husband, his step-dad, and that it is because, about a month ago I told him that I am gay.

My son was surprised that I had put it that way - I've never used a 'label' before, but not surprised that there were issues in our marriage due to my sexual orientation - he has known for years, although we have only really discussed it once, that I am not straight.

What he hadn't expected at all was when I also told him about my ongoing affair, with someone he knows as my friend and training partner. I was terrified that he'd judge me harshly, but, as my husband now knows too, I didn't want my son to hear, but not from me, so I decided to bite the bullet and tell all.

He was SO incredible! He held my hand and reassured me that nothing I could do would ever make him love me less or think less of me. At 19, he seemed to understand and know already that I had been unhappy for years and made sacrifices for his sake and that of his 13 yr old sister. He said, gently and kindly, that he was happy this was happening, as it signified that there could be hope of me finding happiness in my life in the future. Although he was shocked at the revelation about my girlfriend, he seemed to accept the way things were and not judge harshly (although he said he had little sympathy for my predicament!) He questioned, reasonably, the extent to which I am actually gay. I told him that, while I don't completely rule out the idea of ever being with a man again, I feel that for me to be in a fulfilling relationship, I need to be with a woman. He said, "well, I suppose that's the definition, really", and smiled.

I'm just so proud of him! What an incredible, compassionate young man I have raised!!:icon_wink I know there'll be more challenges ahead, and he may have issues that arise from this over the weeks and months to come, but out of everyone I'll have to tell, I'll be surprised if I receive more understanding and compassion than I did from him.

Proud mum! Bluebird x:slight_smile:

2. O_Negative

Aww! I just...that's awesome =)...I like happy stories.

3. Romi

That's really amazing. I'm so happy to hear that coming out to your son went well. And I hope that this finally gives you a chance to find all the happiness you deserve. :]

4. 55

This is amazing, Bluebird! I am so thrilled for you! I agree there may still be rough times ahead, but it sounds like you raised an awesome son!

:kiss:

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's is awesome!! I'm really happy for you! Congrats!

6. AlexisAnne

That's great. :slight_smile: I hope you're able to find the happiness you deserve now.

7. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations

8. Young Pretender

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I am happy for you. And don't be too modest. To an extent, we reap what we sow. You must have done something right with your son.:thumbsup:

Then again, a study publicised by Time magazine suggests that lesbians make the best parents, so maybe you got lucky. :icon_bigg

Now if only I could "raise" my elders to be tolerant, hehe.

9. Aielar

Aww, that's so awesome - made my day :slight_smile:

10. caughtbywitness

Sounds like a top lad, good job :grin:

11. Rose

Bluebird,

Top news! You are right to feel very proud. Another step towards complete openness for you. Hopefully, he may be able to help your daughter come to terms with it when the time comes to tell her.