1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amusing Coming Out Stories

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by goldenwanderer, Sep 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goldenwanderer

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've been out to my close friends for a little while now - close to a year for a few, about a year and a half for most. They're all straight and Christian, but they've been unbelievably awesome about this. They listen to all my innumerable conversations about my sexuality. They indulge my love for certain movie and TV actresses. And they're excited to see me get a girlfriend someday.

I want to share a few of my more amusing coming-out stories. These ones make me laugh whenever I remember them. I hope they'll be encouragement to you, too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

During my junior and senior years of college, I lived in a townhouse with six or seven women. I became very close to some of them, and they became my best friends. I came out to three or four of them in Spring 2011, but I wasn't quite ready to tell a few of the others, whom I didn't know quite as well. One of these was a friend I'll call Kate. We had talked a few times, but she was always very busy, so we didn't see each other that often. By the time the spring semester ended, I hadn't found time to come out to her yet.

Meanwhile, that spring, I discovered a lesbian romantic comedy called I Can't Think Straight. I fell in love with the movie, and bought it over the summer. It's one of my all-time favorite movies now, because it just makes me so happy.

When I went back to school in the fall, I brought I Can't Think Straight with me, along with my other movies. At first, mine were the only movies on the house movie shelf, since my housemates hadn't brought theirs out yet. So one evening, the first week back, when Kate decided to watch a movie in her room, she spotted my movies, and picked out I Can't Think Straight. (Just to clear things up, Kate's straight. And married now, since this June. I was at the wedding.) A few days later, while waiting in line for a meal, the subject of the movie came up, and Kate told me she liked it. After that, nothing more was said, though Kate had to be wondering about me. I mean, who else brings lesbian movies to a townhouse at a Christian college?

A month or so later, I was crashed on the couch in my townhouse. I had bad menstrual cramps, and was waiting for the medicine to kick in. My other friends had gone to dinner. So, since I was pretty much alone in the house, I decided to put on I Can't Think Straight to cheer myself up. That night, it worked better than usual, as you'll see.

Most of the way through the movie, Kate came back to the house, tired from a day of education classes and dance lessons. After a minute or two of chatting, she noticed the movie that was playing. I told her that this movie made me happy. I can't remember whether she was joking or serious or a little of both, but she asked, "Why, because you swing that way?" To which I immediately responded by saying something like, "Yes, I do, actually."

She was only stunned for a moment or two as I recall, probably because she hadn't expected me to answer so bluntly. Then she recovered and offered me her support. I don't remember much of that conversation, honestly. Mostly, I remember how it felt after she went upstairs and left me in the living room. I had been looking for a chance to tell her, and she had just handed me the opportunity on a silver platter. I was overjoyed. I hate coming out, but I love being out.

It was the only time I've ever been glad that I get menstrual cramps.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I was in a fiction-writing class during the fall of 2011. Every Thursday, a few of us got together to read and discuss each other's work, for critiquing and revision purposes. The group generally consisted of up to four of us: Natalie, whom I had come out to that spring; Hannah, who was so oblivious she didn't figure it out even when Natalie and I were talking about it almost explicitly; and Tori, a fairly open bisexual (engaged to a man at the time), who appears fairly conservative until you hear her talk about anything to do with sex. I knew Tori would be totally cool with my being gay, but we didn't see each other much outside of class, and I hadn't found an opportunity yet to bring it up. So I wasn't out to her yet.

One of the short stories I wrote is about vampires... sort of. It takes place in a world where some people don't like normal food, and eat artificial blood instead. They're not well-liked by the rest of the world, especially the church, who sees them as unnatural. Ring any bells? The protagonist of the story is actually straight, but the story has a lot of parallels to the struggle for gay rights. My class picked up on the social/political implications, even if they didn't bring up the gay thing outright.

This particular Thursday, before my story was discussed in class, I met with Natalie and Tori for our weekly group. When we got around to discussing my story, Tori began to talk to me about the gay parallels, thinking that I might not have noticed them. She spoke to me like you would talk to a straight person who just doesn't get it.

At one point, Natalie picked up on this, and turned to me. Like I said, she knows I'm gay, and she also knows I'm not subtle about it. Incredulous, she said to me, "She doesn't know, does she?" I told her no, Tori didn't know. Meanwhile, Tori just looked on, confused. So I turned to Tori and just said, "I'm gay."

Immediately, Tori forgot the lecture about my story. That evening, the three of us ended up having a lengthy conversation about sex and such things. At one point, Tori brought up the Kinsey Scale and didn't hesitate to label me as a 6. She talked as if she'd known I was gay for months, not minutes.

I still laugh when I think of Natalie's face, shocked that Tori didn't know about my sexuality yet. It makes me glad that I'm a lesbian, so I get to have moments like this.

2. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We've already got a similar thread here. :slight_smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.