1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mom already knows?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Phantasma, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Phantasma

Now, after reading a lot of the coming out stories on this site and support people are offering, it got me thinking. Why am I keeping it so secret. Why does it matter. My parents have always promised to love me unconditionally regardless of what I choose to do with my life. But, the more I think about it, the more I get this nagging suspicion that my mother already knows.

As early as I can remember in my life, my parents have always been wonderfully supportive of my brother and me. One of the first serious things I can remember hearing from them was the fact that they wanted us to be happy in our life, and gay or straight, married or single, with kids or without, they were going to support us. Now as I think back, this is probably one of the single most important things they ever taught to me. But here's where I sort of get lost in the details.

I've always been far more attached to my mother than my father, and the opposite for my brother. My parents (more my father actually) would always jokingly tease my brother about who he had a crush on or if he was gonna' go out with the girl who kept calling the house. Now its important to remember they weren't being mean, my brother understood they were just teasing, and he'd tease my father back. Now my mom never stopped him from doing that. But when it came to me, things were different. This girl who had a crush on me was calling me maybe four times a day, and my dad would stop on by my room and do the whole routine he usually did with my brother. However, this time, my mother would always stop by the room and would repeat that line, "We'll she likes him, but it's okay if he doesn't like her. We support whatever you want to do, you don't have to feel pressured to date those girls." My dad would joke around a bit more, it was all in good fun. But it's only now I realize that my mother was possibly sending some messages.

Fast forward to Christmas dinner. I had not dated anyone in roughly four months then, and my brother being jokester in the family asked me when I'm gonna' go get myself a new girlfriend. I started feeling really awkward (but hid it pretty well if I do say so myself). My dad interrupted and started bugging my brother about when HE will get a new girl and they do the whole joking around routine. Not a single word out of my mom. Then my brother gets back to me and keeps grilling me with questions, and then right on time, without a flaw or missed word, my mom chimes in "He doesn't have to date if he doesn't want to, besides, he doesn't need to rush into dating. He knows we'll support him (at this part of the mini speech she looked right at me) with whatever he decides to do, and if he doesn't want to date right now that is fine."

What has me thinking, is the fact that they only said this maybe three times to my brother in his life to this point, but my mother always chimes in with this line almost every time I'm being asked about dating and girlfriends. Now, I've always been the shy, nervous, low self confidence one of the family.. so, could my mom be saying this to just help boost my self-confidence.. or do you think on some weird level she's picked up hints I didn't know I was sending over the years and knows I'm gay. I've never EVER given any direct hint about it to any member of the family..of course there were some very indirect hints I may have dropped when I was young (I'm talking 5/6 years old) like my fav band at the time, the fact I had only girls for friends, and my general demenour was very.. I don't know, effeminate. However I've not been like that for six or seven years, I grew out of that as I matured. But it's really got me thinking why she is always repeating that to me. I don't know if it's because we're really really attached to each other that she feels a little more protective of me then my brother, or if she could possibly already know.

Thoughts?

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Either way, it sounds like your Mom is going to be your biggest supporter. She's looking out for you and always will! I don't think you will have any problems at all coming out to her. :slight_smile:

3. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The phrase "Come out" is screaming in my head. She'll support you, definitely. I think she possibly already knows. Good luck if you decide to come out.

4. jab429

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds to me like she may already know.

I say go for it and tell her!

5. Ilayis

Ilayis Guest

Sounds like your mother is very supportive and will love you no matter what.
    I say tell her,whether you think she knows or not.

6. Phantasma

Well I've definitely been considering coming out.. this site has helped boost my confidence in that area, but that's not confirmed yet.
    I think I would tell my mom first though.

7. Grof142007

yea i would tell her first if i was you. be sure to keep us inform on what happen

8. TriBi

I certainly sounds as if she has some idea - and, as the others say, she certainly would be supportive.

If/when you do come out to her, I guess you won't be surprised if she says "I always knew"...

9. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Since it sounds like there's a good chance that she knows, maybe you should think about telling her if you feel comfortable. It's always a good feeling knowing you told someone else and you're slowly out of the closet.

10. Norwegian91

Sounds like you have a really sweet and supportive mother. It doesnt matter if she knows it or not. She needs you to confirm what she might think. I say GO FOR IT^^

11. Sam

Sam

You should definitely tell her she could be the extra support you may need. good luck.

12. Phantasma

Well you guys are certainly doing a good job at convincing me.. I'm considering it now more than ever. I'm getting all butterflies-in-the-stomach thinking about it though..

I got lots of good feedback from you all, so thanks for every comment. I've got lots to think about now..

But keep the comments coming if you've got stuff to say, I would certainly welcome more opinions.

13. Sam

Sam

butterflies are normal and that can be a scary feeling but I know you can do it! tell us how it goes. Hey your coming out story might give others the courage to come out to their mom because I know its going to be a positive reaction.

14. Phantasma

I like the idea of giving others courage, but I don't think I'm gonna' go come out immediately. I've decided after all the feedback I'm going to do it sometime.. but I still have some thinking to do, and deciding how I'll tell her.

15. Sam

Sam

I understand. I always tell people that they should wait until they feel its the right time and that they will know when the time is right. I didn't mean it to sound like "do it now" I meant when the time does come and you post your story, people will read your story and because it will be positive (I'm sure) it might give them the extra courage they need to do the same. Like I said when the time is right you'll know. Please don't take our posts as pressure to come out right now because I'm sure none of us meant it as that we just know that it is going to be a positive (but of course nerve-racking) experience for you and all of us on EC is here to support you. I'm sure all of us are anticipating the time when you decide to come out to your mom. I'm always here to talk if you need to talk.
    good luck!

16. Phantasma

:slight_smile: Thanks, a very helpful post. And I didn't mean to make it sounds like guys were pressuring me to come out.. I never took it that way. Just meant that I've got a lot to think about, and that it's more likely I'll come out after getting some feedback.

17. Luroon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Think of it this way...the style of jokes between your dad and your brother about girls are probably going to make for some big laughs when you and your mom can start talking freely about gentlemen callers.

18. Phantasma

Haha, now THAT would be an interesting convo.

19. tiptoerainbows

As many others have said you mum sounds so sweet and very supportive. If I was you I'd come out to her first. =)

20. CrimsonThunder

Aww your mum sounds beautiful!

She kinda reminds me of my mum.

Good luck man. :thumbsup: